Sign in to follow this  
Snetro

Overall Performance / FPS-Drop while going into water

Question

Hi guys!

The only problem I've got with Ylands is the overall performance.

I've not got the best computer, but I'm sure it should run a game with not so complex graphics like Ylands smooth at constant 60 FPS, but it doesn't! In not so crowded scenes I've got almost 60 FPS, but while moving it decreases significantly.

The FPS while playing online, are not playable anymore (~10 FPS).

My computer is able to play graphical more complex games at higher and more stable frames, so Ylands should run more than smooth. Please improve the performance of Ylands and maybe decrease the system requirements a little bit.

I think this game would be perfect to run on older machines, and wouldn't it be great to make Ylands accessible to all the pc-gamers, who are playing on low-spec machines?

I know that the game is still an alpha, but I think that a game with simple, but pretty graphics, which are not too computationally intensive, should be developed with low-spec computers in mind, beacuse this aspect could be a big selling point for all the gamers with older machines.

The games graphics style is so simple (but still very pretty), that it should be possible to make it run smooth on old/slow computers, without decreasing the graphics quality too much. Ylands graphics style is perfect, to make it even accessible to very old/slow computers.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've noticed a significant FPS-Drop, when my character steps into the water.

It's just for a few seconds, after stepping into the water. The game runs smoothly afterwards, even if I stay inside the water, so it's just the moment of going from land into water.

Greetings, Snetro!

Edited by Snetro

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Greetings!

As far as I know, the game has not yet been fully optimised (likely closer to Steam release).

Some things you could try however, check for the latest GPU drivers for your system, disable things like HBAO+ and lower the graphics settings etc.

Sorry that I can't be of much assistance to this regard, I believe Ylands is making use of some fairly new technologies and perhaps some incompatibility issues exist between this tech and your hardware.

Posting your system specifications and a DirectX Diagnosis might provide some information of use to the developers, you can generate a DXDiag by typing in to the run / start bar - dxdiag.

Regarding the water FPS, this seems like something they already know about, or would like to know about!

I have noticed that I can create game lag (not FPS drop but delays in actions), by displacing water with earth, or by blowing a big hole in the sea, causing all the water to move to fill the gap, I presume this would be quite CPU demanding.

Further, posting your system spec might help to identify "bottlenecking" with your setup, I was having this issue on my last machine with a poor CPU throttling everything, my graphics was capable enough, but the CPU couldn't keep up!

Edited by John - Ylanders

Yes, as John pointed out this is a known issue we'll try to address sometime in the future. We are not done yet with game optimizations.

For now you can follow John's advices :)