Sign in to follow this  
Indomitus

Automated mapper (for scenario planning)

Well, I finally got tired of flying slowly over my map with a propeller pack and a map just to get an image of the world I'm building.  I've built a working prototype for a tool that does most of the work for me.

I drop the composition (with logic) into my scenario in the Editor, move a few waypoints to set where it starts and finishes, as well as making sure it's high enough to not hit anything (trust me, it helps).  Once everything's in place, I switch to Test mode, grab my Creator Cube and equip my map, flip the switch and get ready for a wild ride.  (It literally flies the "Trigger Object" Ylander over the entire map at lightning fast speed.)

Of course, in Test mode, the map goes away when I exit.  If I launch it as a custom game, though, it stays.  And I can always screenshot what I need and just repeat the process whenever I need it.

In my initial tests, it could map an entire Size 1 island (plus a lot of water around it) in just a few seconds.  I haven't tested yet how it will handle a large, multiple island map.

For obvious reasons, you wouldn't be able to place it into an active Explore mode map, but I can see this being very useful for planning where things will go on a large adventure scenario.

I'll add details here as I refine it.  And if anyone is interested, I can share the composition when I feel it's safe and ready to go.  (Although probably not on the official Ylands server.)

Edited by Indomitus

And I crashed it with 4 islands.

Need to slow it down a little, I think.

edit:

Slowed him down to about 100 m/s and he's doing fine.  Downside is that now a large map could take an hour or so to do.  Then again, that's an hour of the game moving automatically.  It's also an hour I can't use anything else on my computer, so there's a little bit of give and take.

Edited by Indomitus