Sign in to follow this  
Jimin Park

World Saving on Elementary server broke my game

Question

I have a pretty serious bug in my game that makes it totally unplayable now.
I'm pretty sure you have access to the source of my game Guton Forest
If you look at its latest published version in the Workshop, I have a portal that takes players to a random tile in the forest
I was told to turn on the World Saving, and host the game on ELEMENTARY rental server because apparently the bug with "inactivity" kick out has been fixed with this server type.
And yes, people were not having "inactivity" kick out but now another serious bug has happened.
I started getting unreliable player CONNECTED, DISCONNECTED events that messed up my leader board, (player disconnected but shows up connected in my leader board).
What is more critical is that nobody can teleport out of the town and enter the forest anymore. I think the trigger zone is still there because first thing it does is to set the players from indestructible to destructible so they can die. And I was swinging my weapon and was able to kill them by the portal. 

This is my pure guess here without having access to server logs or knowing the details of what server actually does so take it for what it is please:

• I started the server and players were actively playing it without problems during the day (European timezone)
  • Players numbers started dropping towards the evening and ultimately hit 0 players at some point
  • (From this point on is my pure guess) Server saw that the game was idle with 0 players it went into some "energy saving" mode with world states saved
  • When new player joined, my game wasn't restored properly especially with the "BattleFieldTileControllers" I have in my script.
  • When player wanted to go into the forest by taking the portal out, none of the BattleFieldTileControllers are there to handle this

I left the game and the server as it is in its broken state. Please take a look and see what happened. I am also attaching my client log outputs here.

Just a disclaimer, my game had no problem whatsoever when it was hosted with the "DEDICATED OFFICIAL SERVER" before. People would play for like an entire day and still portals were working fine. However that server just completely shutdown and restarted when there was 0 players. So when server restarts, everyone's progress got lost and probably all my BattleFieldTileController's were properly reinitialized.

output_log.txt

output_log_clean.txt

Edited by Jimin Park

0 replies to this bug / suggestion

No replies to this bug / suggestion