Pl0x3r_2605-686249c569d222da

Suggestion (world regeneration)

Question

I have played Ylands off and on since about a year ago just to check in with it.  I like where exploration is headed by becoming more expansive.  I think exploration is the best part about Ylands.  I just wish there was world regeneration to keep old habitats still lively.  Like small grass would continue to randomly spawn or small tree sapplings would randomly sprout, or certain flowers would spread across fields over time, or npcs/animals would randomly populate.  I believe this would increase replay value of exploration because it would make the world feel more lively and keep players like me more interested in their home island.  The reason I suggest this is because I believe increasing exploration's replay value and lifespan is just as important as brand new content.  

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Thank you for the feedback, and while the main focus for us now is the 'Explor(e)' in Exploration and having pretty much an unlimited choice of where to go next and what to find, we are thinking of ways of making older maps replayable. It is difficult to balance it out though with stability and longevity of the actual map, since with too much activity, the maps again begin to be unstable, but that is a problem we have to solve anyways ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Thank you for the feedback, and while the main focus for us now is the 'Explor(e)' in Exploration and having pretty much an unlimited choice of where to go next and what to find, we are thinking of ways of making older maps replayable. It is difficult to balance it out though with stability and longevity of the actual map, since with too much activity, the maps again begin to be unstable, but that is a problem we have to solve anyways ?

My pleasure.  I understand and thought about stability too.  Maybe some sort of decaying system linked to the already existing "withered" plants to create a life cycle for plants.  Example:  Plant lives for a while (7-14 days) then begins to wither, releasing 1 seed on the floor in a 3x3 area around it, therefore creating a newly generated plant, which would in turn change the environment just a bit, giving it that lively feel.  Or simply some sort of cap for limiting the amount of spawned entities in a loaded area with such a feature in place.  Either way I'm really glad the focus is on exploration and actually excited to play it and see where it goes.  ?