Sign in to follow this  
Silwercastle

Ylandium generator

I am stuck, have all the benches (think so) and parts for the generator. Can craft lights , but can not find the generator to build and power them.

What am i missing ?

You don't necessarily need the ylandium generator itself to provide power to things, you can also use Wind Turbines (depending on how much power you need you may need more than one) or engines (steam or ylandium).

Most likely you're missing either vacuum tubes (from the energy workbench) or the glass sphere (from the kiln, requires a glassblowing pipe from the forge) to unlock the generators.

14 minutes ago, vforventura said:

You don't necessarily need the ylandium generator itself to provide power to things, you can also use Wind Turbines (depending on how much power you need you may need more than one) or engines (steam or ylandium).

Most likely you're missing either vacuum tubes (from the energy workbench) or the glass sphere (from the kiln, requires a glassblowing pipe from the forge) to unlock the generators.

Steam engine ?..... will have a look for that, but i do have the tube and the sphere already. Just build the ylandium refinery which needed the tube. 

Oops, thats what I was thinking of. The generators only use the sphere, not the vacuum tube.

Weird that you haven't been able to unlock it yet then. Its just glass sphere, ylandium dust and iron. Maybe try quitting the game entirely and starting again, apparently that forces the list of things you can craft refresh when it bugs out like that.

And yeah, steam engines are nifty since you can power 'em with any burnable (sticks, wood pieces, charcoal, coal...). Wind turbines are more of a passive way of generating energy, tho I think (but haven't tested) that they generate a little bit less than the other methods, so you may need more of them. Which is fine, since they only need common resources to make (no ylandium). Same with steam engines.

• Thanks 1

Will give it a try later. Have unlocked a lot of tech and just got my guardian armor, man that headlamp is just fantastic when exploring and fighting at night. Once i have a idea of how the ylandium tech (generators and engines) work i will start building my base. 

Basically, you have this fancy energy tool thing that you use to create circuits, but links only have a limited range, so you usually need to use nodes (relays) to extend that range. So for example, you click with the tool on the output... thingie... on a wind turbine on top of your base or a hill or wherever, then click on a node halfway to your base. Thats a link. Then you click on the node (it acts as both input and output) then to a splitter on the single side, then click on each 'leg' of the dual side of the splitter, one linking to a lamp and the other to an energy stove on their 'input' thingies, and that closes up the circuit and powers the relevant machines.

You could also add some complexity, say adding a small lever between the splitter and the lamp to turn it on and off.

If you're familiar with circuits (or redstone if you're a minecrafter) you can also craft a bunch of gates and such (NOR, XOR, AND, so forth) to make fancier contraptions.

Edited by vforventura
Adding wiki link
  • Thanks 1

Have not made a screwdriver so maybe that is why i have not seen this either. Will go and check later when i get home from work.

Also, for future reference (and future games), with some copper, iron and glass, you can craft a flashlight which should then unlock the mining helmet, to make that first trip into the caves that much easier before you have access to guardian armor.

I believe its the same as the guardian helmet in terms of light, but probably worse in terms of its protection rating.

Again the screwdriver.. i made all the tools as far as i now but this one as nothing needed it. Bad if you don't know you need to make something to unlock something you do not know exist.

My first trip deep into the caves was in fact to get the crystals (50) i needed for the armor. :P

There's an icon on the bottom part of the crafting section of your inventory that you can click to show a list of all the things you need to craft in order to unlock further crafting recipes.

Its easily overlooked tho since its a very small icon.

8 minutes ago, vforventura said:

There's an icon on the bottom part of the crafting section of your inventory that you can click to show a list of all the things you need to craft in order to unlock further crafting recipes.

Its easily overlooked tho since its a very small icon.

It did not show on mine and i constantly check that i have everything in that section made, but am going to check now. :S

The glass sphere was something i thought i crafted but did probably in a previous map. The energy converter was also something i missed. Now everything is appearing. Thanks.

Just one more thing , it says the steam engine can be used on a boat, does it need to connect to a propeller or something ? 

Nope, just 'touching' the boat (or any structure that you build on top of the boat) is sufficient.

Its a viable alternative to sails. For what its worth, a large ship's speed caps with either 5 engines of either type (they're equal in power generation, just use different fuel) or a total of 4 large and one small masts.

You can have both propulsion systems on the same ship, but only one will be 'in effect' at any given time - you can switch freely between them. Here's the original research (not by me).

Edited by vforventura
source
  • Upvote 1