Naking

sailing

Question

I set sail in a boat looking for an new island cause I was running on limited resources.  I sailed for two whole days and the fog never lifted and i could see anything.  Never found another island and starved to death.

i understand one day of the fog not lifting but should the fog lift when you are at see like it does on the islands?

Secondly how big is the map on explore mode? 

I was just hoping i would get lucky and run into an island.

I still love the game but i guess i am stuck on the island grinding out looking for resources now used the last of them to build a boat.

9 replies to this bug / suggestion

Good question! I just wanted to sail around my Yland also for new resources(coal mainly), but I do have a map, undiscovered parts will stay "fogged/clouded" on the map once you are in the area it will show up, that will make it a bit easier for me to do a recon and get back to my main Yland.

My experience so far:

Always bring a map

Extra food 

sleeping pads or mats to make beds

enough material for 2-3 rafts( there is not always grass or tree on ylands!)

never try to get too close to a yland in a ship, use a raft to land, especially in cold water biomes

stop and anchor at night, running aground is a nightmare

I did succeed at sleeping in a pad on deck a few times, then it crashed my game and corrupted my save so i don't recommend it.

The island do not appear on the horizon, you need to be quite close to see them, but the birds show that land is near, look for the birds.

Hope this is helpful

• Upvote 1

thanks for the help.  Did not have a map was my first mistake, second not a lot of food (only a few days).  I could not see anything because of the fog it only let me see about 20' around so spotting birds was out of the question.  I could have pass tons of islands and not even know it.

Melle: You said the map is foggy till you clear the area, but that doesn't mean the area is foggy in game right?

Yes the sea is foggy from time to time but also the map is "blured/foggy" wenn you have not been in that area yet.

Also did my first big sailing expedition on explore mode....... found several other Ylands with caves and several resources (No coal yet) and also a real pirate chest wich I digged up after founding a set of coins and spade to mark the location to dig :P Also found this nice ice Yland where I ended up falling down in a "hole" dead on impact, so need to restart from my original Yland again getting supplies to build a new ship, gear, clothes and so on.

The birds above the sea are really a big indicator that land is near, land will only show up wenn you get near it so be patient :) 

PS @Devs : maybe boats can get a "onboard" chest, a bigger chest for bigger boats and smaller chest on the little boat. 

41 minutes ago, A3_Melle said:

@Devs : maybe boats can get a "onboard" chest, a bigger chest for bigger boats and smaller chest on the little boat. 

You can already place a chest on boat yourself. :) Even on the small boat. So why to have another built in? :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

You can already place a chest on boat yourself. :) Even on the small boat. So why to have another built in? :)

Well did not try that (was the small boat not the ship) thanks for the tip, did try to place a lantern on a raft, this is now floating above the water (spooky) ;) will post some screenshots of it later today. 

• Upvote 1

Picture of the map, and you can see perfectly where i have been "exploring".Ylands_170501_103552.thumb.png.a298ce31612a73c45c1adfcb6aeb6c65.png

Wenn you look close enough you can see the seagulls flying on the left side, meaning land is near.

Ylands_170501_110335.thumb.png.98ed30497a7f086b1aea668aed245c31.png

a minute later land was in sight :)

Ylands_170501_111742.thumb.png.44ce2ed75ee0d70562208bbd4425b564.png

• Upvote 1