Stephenw1992

Just a few of my own ideas

Question

I've just read the monetization post and i love the idea, I've always believed that if players spend their own money to allow others to play they should have the right to at least ask for donations towards running costs, maintenance etc. Introduce the aspect of the vast amount of content will be focused on player made content i think that coyns are a fantastic idea to support those who can build bigger and better creations.

A few of my own thoughts i think would be a great addition for creators:

*Adding a zone that can connect a player to another server instance when crossing. This could be a small single person teleportation... thing-ma-jig (without access to extra storage) going to a specified destination or a world boundary option (sailing over a world boundary connects you to the next server, allowing for transportation of storage and items contained). The ability to connect instances in this way would open up a whole new level to Ylands. Allowing for almost seamless travel across countless servers for a potentially limitless exploration experience. whether a host then chooses to keep all servers under their own control or give them the option to connect to fellow hosts or communities and allowing for travel between. Then potentially opening each server to the whole world. coyns would change hands, real trading can happen, taxes could be set on transactions in a region to help with server costs. I believe that one (albeit complicated) addition could take Ylands to a whole new place...

Optional taxes hosts can set on Coyn and trade within their servers,
Optional "crossing fee" when passing into another instance or another hosts region
Enable contracts for services that could span several servers ie. "transport supplies to x destination" 

ok so i did have more ideas when i started this thread but i got caught up in the endless possibilities that could bring and now i have no idea what else i was thinking about...

I will be back!

Edited by Stephenw1992

1 reply to this bug / suggestion

I like the idea of interconnecting servers, but there would probably be quite a few practical and technical hurdles. For instance, how to deal with full servers, keys (ids would have to be unique across servers), maps (where to store, what to show), kicks/bans... If you allow vehicles and items as well, what if you take your mobile base with all your resources and it's lost to some technical issue. What server admin do you contact and who's to say you didn't just hide or sell those resources on a connected server somewhere? The problems are as mind-boggling as the possibilities.

This is not to say it's impossible, and I would even think this could be an awesome way to solve the problem of finite resources but... it's a huge problem domain.