Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #9

Hi there, fellow ylanders.

As some of you already know, we spent most of this week at E3 presenting Ylands. Before the main show started, we had the honor of showing (as the world premiere) our latest Ylands trailer during the prestigious PC Gaming Show where we also talked a bit about the game itself. It was truly a tremendous experience, and although being a part of such a high-profile event can get a bit stressful, things went well, in no small part thanks to one and only Sean "Day[9]" Plott, brilliant moderator (and a great and funny guy in real life).

Those of you who missed the segment can watch it the right here

Weather and (customizable) cars? Yeah - coming your way in a few weeks as a part of 0.5 "Rainy Roads"

But it was just beginning. For the next three days, we got to demonstrate our game as a part of PC Gamer booth at LA Convention Center to hundreds of players. Some came to try the game after seeing the PC Gaming Show; others couldn‘t resist our cheerful visuals and stopped by to find out more. 

We couldn't be more satisfied with the result - the reactions were overwhelmingly positive, once again we received a ton of useful feedback, and many people decided to buy the game right now, even though it still isn't available on Steam.

E3 collage.jpg 
It was pretty intense and tiring but we had sooo much fun! :)

I'd like to thank everyone who made this possible - especially you, our players, who are helping us every day in making Ylands a better, funnier game to play. 

That's all and so till we meet again - you take care, ylanders, and stay classy! 

• Upvote 3

All looking good! I'm currently building a car ferry, will it be possible to have cars drive onto boats and off them again?

Adrie

Nice diary to see how you got trew this epic event...... must have been a rollercoaster from time to time. 

Other question will be: will you guys be at Gamescom in Germany?;)

Yep I'm one of those people who bought after your exposure! So grats and lets hope lots of funds were generated and lots more is yet to come :D

@WijkagentAdrie Cars on boats: that is, indeed, planned.

@A3_Melle It's possible that we will be showing Ylands there as well. We'll be able to tell you more at a later date.

@massivelyindie Much appreciated! "More to come?"... I wouldn't worry about that - our Big Picture to-do list has enough features and ideas for at least a few more years of intense development :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aleš Ulm said:

@WijkagentAdrie Cars on boats: that is, indeed, planned.

@A3_Melle It's possible that we will be showing Ylands there as well. We'll be able to tell you more at a later date.

@massivelyindie Much appreciated! "More to come?"... I wouldn't worry about that - our Big Picture to-do list has enough features and ideas for at least a few more years of intense development :)

In that case: What about having the possibility of attaching trailers to our cars? Also would be nice to be able to put the engines on our boats :) Trading off the use of fuel for a faster, independent of wind kind of sailing.

26 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

In that case: What about having the possibility of attaching trailers to our cars? Also would be nice to be able to put the engines on our boats :) Trading off the use of fuel for a faster, independent of wind kind of sailing.

Well they did say modding will be  coming, and if it is 1 thing Bohemia Interactive is famous for it is the modding community :)  If the Ylands team makes a decision not to do certain things it cold be possible for the mod community to make it possible. 

Attaching engines to ships is something we are already discussing. Having trailers sounds like fun - something like this won't make it to 0.5 for sure, but I can see this as a nice expansion to cars in future :) Thanks for the idea. 

Just now, A3_Melle said:

Well they did say modding will be  coming, and if it is 1 thing Bohemia Interactive is famous for it is the modding community :)  If the Ylands team makes a decision not to do certain things it cold be possible for the mod community to make it possible. 

Oh yes, I've played some of the nice mods for Arma 2 and 3 :) I have a feeling however that for Ylands to be more accessible it should be easy for players to just hop on a server and enjoy themselves without having to download loads of mods before they can join. I guess you also know those times where you just want to run too much (incompatible) mods and try to get it all to work :D 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Attaching engines to ships is something we are already discussing. Having trailers sounds like fun - something like this won't make it to 0.5 for sure, but I can see this as a nice expansion to cars in future :) Thanks for the idea. 

It's the end result that counts ofcourse! :) Will there be different "tiers" of engines and/or different fuel types? Ylandium, coal, some sort of high tier refined fuel, multiple power engines with different sizes and fuel consumptions? And will there be multiple size chassis' like we have with boats? I'm excited to find out!

Adrie

• Upvote 1

Modding: yes! This goes pretty much without saying - we are already taking steps so that the game becomes modifiable in future and I can imagine a lot of things appearing as user created mods. :)

• Upvote 1

Types of engines etc. - that's exactly something we'll be talking about in one of the upcoming Sneak Peeks ;) Stay tuned :)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Oh yes, I've played some of the nice mods for Arma 2 and 3 :) I have a feeling however that for Ylands to be more accessible it should be easy for players to just hop on a server and enjoy themselves without having to download loads of mods before they can join. I guess you also know those times where you just want to run too much (incompatible) mods and try to get it all to work :D 

Yes I know all about it, BUT with ARMA3 Bohemia made some good steps fowerd with the new A3 launcher, it made joining a server with (steam workshop) mods much easier.