Avantica

Trouble keeping a save on a game server!

Question

Hello!

I'm Ava and i am new here, I would like some information about scheduled daily restarts, my partner purchased a game server from nitrado, it supports ylands, but we have an issue, we have started a new game and seems that after a scheduled restart the game server has difficulties getting the server back up, it just keeps on restarting (10 times), to the point the server fully stops and at this point, whatever game save we were playing last, will be gone! I read on nitrados timed restart tab that not every game supports the restart message!

Could this be the reason why we keep having to make a new game save or has there not anyone been complaining about this same issue? For all I know it could be the server we are with (nitrado itself) but I am not sure, I opened a support ticket with them for the very same reason I am posting this here, they worked on "the issue" according to them yesterday, but once more the new game I started after was lost this morning, obviously I contacted them again and am now waiting to hear back, meanwhile I figured I would place the question here, in case this is the issue. Like I said to them, I will try to run a new game without the scheduled restart on and see for how long that one will  last, there has to be a reason to why we having this issue, all I can say is that it is beyond frustration now, we had to start over more than 5 times, wew! Also I have included the restart log, I have no clue if it will be useful in anyway, but I figured, might as well.

Thanks in advance, 

Best regards, 

Avantica

restart.log

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

Hey Avantica, I am dealing with a similar issue.

Earlier this week we lost all our progress. The save game was unavailable to rejoin but the server was available through search. I joined through search and our server had been wiped causing us to start fresh. This morning that has seemingly happened again.

I am a content creator attempting to do a youtube series (a la Keralis) from this server, so the loss of progress is frustrating. This is a server for my Patreon community, so it is not just me being affected, I have a lot of frustrated Patreon supporters.

Last time around my admin/tech guys let me know there was only one save and it had been overwritten--he said he would try to set up a system of back ups. He hasn't had time yet to attempt to recover our progress, if he has success I will reply again. If not we will be forced to start over for the second time this week. I need to find the reason for this issue if all servers are not being affected. It is really messing up my ability to promote this game and my community of players. My server is supplied by my sponsor g-portal and I have opened a ticket with them.

8 hours ago, Avantica said:

Hello!

I'm Ava and i am new here, I would like some information about scheduled daily restarts, my partner purchased a game server from nitrado, it supports ylands, but we have an issue, we have started a new game and seems that after a scheduled restart the game server has difficulties getting the server back up, it just keeps on restarting (10 times), to the point the server fully stops and at this point, whatever game save we were playing last, will be gone! I read on nitrados timed restart tab that not every game supports the restart message!

Could this be the reason why we keep having to make a new game save or has there not anyone been complaining about this same issue? For all I know it could be the server we are with (nitrado itself) but I am not sure, I opened a support ticket with them for the very same reason I am posting this here, they worked on "the issue" according to them yesterday, but once more the new game I started after was lost this morning, obviously I contacted them again and am now waiting to hear back, meanwhile I figured I would place the question here, in case this is the issue. Like I said to them, I will try to run a new game without the scheduled restart on and see for how long that one will  last, there has to be a reason to why we having this issue, all I can say is that it is beyond frustration now, we had to start over more than 5 times, wew! Also I have included the restart log, I have no clue if it will be useful in anyway, but I figured, might as well.

Thanks in advance, 

Best regards, 

Avantica

restart.log

@Avantica Your issue seems to have something to do with Nitrado's configuration. I can't speak for how their restart system works, as it's not a feature of the Ylands Dedicated Server software, so your only bet for resolving this issue is to discuss it with Nitrado support.

As a side note, the Ylands Team has previously asked that hosting providers do not yet offer Ylands hosting for these sorts of reasons. The server software still has a lot of problems, and it hasn't been deemed ready for commercial use.

1 hour ago, UniteTheClans said:

Hey Avantica, I am dealing with a similar issue.

Earlier this week we lost all our progress. The save game was unavailable to rejoin but the server was available through search. I joined through search and our server had been wiped causing us to start fresh. This morning that has seemingly happened again.

I am a content creator attempting to do a youtube series (a la Keralis) from this server, so the loss of progress is frustrating. This is a server for my Patreon community, so it is not just me being affected, I have a lot of frustrated Patreon supporters.

Last time around my admin/tech guys let me know there was only one save and it had been overwritten--he said he would try to set up a system of back ups. He hasn't had time yet to attempt to recover our progress, if he has success I will reply again. If not we will be forced to start over for the second time this week. I need to find the reason for this issue if all servers are not being affected. It is really messing up my ability to promote this game and my community of players. My server is supplied by my sponsor g-portal and I have opened a ticket with them.

@UniteTheClans I'd have to say the same in your case. Speaking with G-Portal is your best bet here, as there's not much we here can do to assist.

12 hours ago, Seathre said:

@Avantica Your issue seems to have something to do with Nitrado's configuration. I can't speak for how their restart system works, as it's not a feature of the Ylands Dedicated Server software, so your only bet for resolving this issue is to discuss it with Nitrado support.

As a side note, the Ylands Team has previously asked that hosting providers do not yet offer Ylands hosting for these sorts of reasons. The server software still has a lot of problems, and it hasn't been deemed ready for commercial use.

@UniteTheClans I'd have to say the same in your case. Speaking with G-Portal is your best bet here, as there's not much we here can do to assist.

Hello! 

@Seathre i have been told the same by a friend that has a dedicated server, we were very new to the game and did no research whatsoever about it,  that being said, we were not aware of these issues with hosting companies. it is time we pull away from Nitrado, at least for now. I will look for a dedicated server i suppose, so my partner and myself can still play the game when we want, without having to be forced in game so the other can play (local host). :D

@UniteTheClans
I totally understand frustration! We lost a few ourselves, so i totally know what it's like. o.O

I don't think Nitrado  can do anything to recover our previous save (specially since there has never been a saved backup apparently, on their website), and at this point is pointless, we started a few. Right now, i fully give up on these services, the problem lays further in Nitrados system, i have disabled the scheduled restart and yet the same issue is present. I wish you all the good luck with your troubles, and hopefully you can get it back, as for myself, i don't think there's a point anymore. 

I appreciate the time you both took to give my troubles an answer.
All the best to the both of you B|

Ava

Hey guys, I have a giant community of my youtube viewers in Discord and one of the folks I trust as an admin for my Ark server network has been working up a solution. I am too dumb to explain it all and could never have figured it out on my own, but our server resets were tied to updating the server. The default setting on a restart was to overwrite the save with a blank save. Dusty from the geeks Discord has written up a script to create backups and save us from dealing with this again--not sure if they will let me share a link, but this is how you would join our discord https://discord.gg/HbrRS2C! If the link doesn't work I am UniteTheClans on youtube and any video description will have a link.

I cannot promise our solution will work Avantica, but if the root cause is the same we may be able to help! Hop into discord and say hi to me (UniteTheClans there too) or to Dusty P!