Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

MP servers, The Good, Bad, and Ugly!

I tried some MP servers. The first  was an aussie one and it impressed me  due to its continual  maintenance,  corpse removal, and attitude of its   inhabitants. There were lag/latency issues  but these were already known and affecting all  mp servers, and also  my  isp connection was far from the best. I unfortunately   got  caught in one of the known  glitches and couldn't  log back in...but this  and the glitch  will be fixed with the 0.7  update. So waiting   with excitement  :D

In order to get my "ylands fix" i  tried another server...   found it ok  but  as it was way overseas  log in times l took ages...  I built a base  but  fell victim to the dreaded falling through the ground glitch and respawned minus  all my  items. I could not locate them,   I found  my base but could not  access all my locked chests  and the  basket with my duplicate keys  was missing...  ????  Also   my PB  would not recognize me ... (I respawned with  no items in inventory whatsoever!)  

Ok  - tried another one .... It was a pvte  server and  when i landed it was amidst a crowd of white  undies clad   avatars  with  names of various  distasteful  dictators,,  like    Adolph  H     Joseph  L      and other  unsavory  history   characters . I knew this was not going to go well!

I ran for  my life !!!!!   dodging  cross bow  bolts.. these  guys   couldn't  hit a barn door  with a bucket load of  corn seed if they were standing  next to it!  I dodged and  weaved and  escaped    only to be confronted by the  owner wearing a propeller  pack .  He had a crossbow pointed at me  and suggested  i follow him to another  Island    I could  have.  Did i have a choice?O.o

So  i was taken to a  tiny  temperate  island  and left there .  there was a hut and some basic  tools  and  food  but  no ores  and other resources , or  caves.  I had no way of  crafting a boat or  replacing  tools  if they  broke.  it was obviously  a prison island  for  the  owners   enjoyment ...confirmed when i checked on  the server location..    a country  not  favorable  for     human  rights and   treatment of  women. So i logged out  of there ...i since noticed that  that server is no longer available... so  just  a  one off by someone who is technically a  troll.>:(

Moved to another  Pacific  area server... seems ok,  but there was no cotton or  flax ,  its all been  harvested... but i managed to  find a single  cotton plant they missed.... it was in a gully .

I have since managed to   re-introduce  cotton,  i have over  90 plants  so far.  But  there's sure some wasteful  inhabitants  there ...  a  huge  area of   tree stumps    wood pieces and   un collected  seeds!  Also there's an  spawn point with about  10   motionless  zombies standing around.  Its  a fair enough place...will  use it to  hone  building skills etc  and get  my  " fix"  until  0.7 arrives and i return to  No.1:D

Edited by kimbuck
  • Like 2

So much Host Unreachable. That's been my biggest issue with MP and a contributing source of naked avatars clustered in the starting area on numerous servers online. 

I'm also anxiously awaiting the update and its 100+ fixes. In the meantime I just play on my own server. 

1 hour ago, kimbuck said:

In order to get my "ylands fix" i  tried another server...   found it ok  but  as it was way overseas  log in times l took ages...  I built a base  but  fell victim to the dreaded falling through the ground glitch and respawned minus  all my  items. I could not locate them,   I found  my base but could not  access all my locked chests  and the  basket with my duplicate keys  was missing...  ????  Also   my PB  would not recognize me ... (I respawned with  no items in inventory whatsoever!)  

This must've been my server - I see you have two bodies that aren't dead - one sitting in a base along the coast, and another standing at the spawn point.  At this point, we're just waiting for the next patch before doing anything serious.  Will be wiping and starting fresh.

Correct  Baz... the  slowness   in logging in was because   you are way over there  and i am  way over here...:D  A  lot of  ocean to cover,   and my  system here  does need an upgrade...its ..not your  servers fault.

The "me"   at the base had  nothing!   ..  and  the one at spawn?  hmmm dunno  about that! I apparently only  died  once! 

How i fell through the earth... was i got  buried! ...and there was a solid   roof overhead. that's the  dreaded falling through the earth glitch and  Ane  responded  about that. Byt  the  way  your   server was  one of the good  ones ... the  bad and  ugly was that one which  doesn't seem to be around anymore..  it  took  ages to  load and i suspect it was a home  set up job   with  clockwork internalsB|

I could move the clone over to your base and kill it for you to see if you can salvage anything off of it, but at this point I'm not sure it's worth trying to play the game going all the way across the globe unless performance is drastically improved with the upcoming patch.  Wish you had a better experience - the server itself is a pretty beefy enterprise rack server with plenty of CPU/Memory and a Gigabit connection to the Internet, but the current state of the game doesn't really take advantage of any of it.  It slows to a snails pace eventually no matter what.

Either way, let me know if you want me to try anything with your avatars on my server.  I'm usually on during my evenings, GMT-5, so not sure if there's a good time for us to coincide on.

Edited by Baz Foobar

@ Baz .... At this stage with the 0.7  about to roll out,  best not to worry. 

Will be starting again fresh  after that event,:D

Currently  i tried an experimental build on another server, and  to my surprise  i logged in and found 6 squatters   sitting in my chars etc  inside my dwelling O.o ..I should  charge rent!:D

They are all offline and just sitting there  in all my chairs  ... this could be classified as a form of griefing ..but i  not  concerned  ... with the  server  update  they will  be de-pixellated.^_^

Makes a note to oneself ... when going offline in future, make sure you have lockable  doors  on all entry points!:/

Edited to  add ..  I did have a good  experience..and recommend your server.  The   only  issue is one  that's on the "to fix" list and  can happen to anyone anywhere.   Regarding the latency, i point out  my ISP is  NOT the best... and i have  a history of complaints about it ..unfortunately where i am "in the  bush"  i have  no choice other than a  wifi alternative.....  that's being  investigated

Edited by kimbuck