Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

trees falling through the ground

There have  been instances reported of trees   falling  through the ground  after being chopped own. Today i was using a shovel to   flatten ground  near a tree and it   dropped  through the ground.... so did another   3  nearby .  I  persisted and a  boar  ran in front of  my  shovel  and ahe fell through the ground as well.

So i  did some digging and     exploring  and  discovered a  cave/void  beneath the area i was  leveling!

That 's the  explanation  folks, if  a tree or   object   disappears or  drops  while  you are  using a tool that modifies the ground  surface,  its most likely   because there's a  void  somewhere underneath

In my  case it was the  excavation of  ores nearby  that had been  removed, and i had back filled the opening to stop   people  falling in! ..  but there was still a void deeper  down^_^

Interesting... not sure that explains the trees falling after getting chopped down thoug.  Also, did the trees/boar fall into the void space or did they just keep dropping into the world?

some trees  had their tops  sticking out of the ground and   kept "growing"  others   just    went  down yonder .. and like the boar ..never seen again:D  probably  emerged in   chynalands :P

So there can be sinkholes?!? synkholes? syncholes?

kimbuck, I'm curious how you " back filled the opening". did you just drop dirt/similar across the opening?

I'm guessing that if your digging and exploring found the excavated cave below, the boar was in there. So you could make a natural trap. Similar to what happens to most rabbits if I dig a trench/hole.

I dropped dirt  into the bottom and  filled the hole  up ,  however there were branches out underneath following the vein that would not  have got  filled.

And yes ..i have  dug  small holes to act as traps to  catch boar  rabbit etc...    and for   an experiment i  filled the hole in with a boar in it ... the   boar  disappeared...  obviously it fell to the center of the earth.

I am sure  that baz foobar  can confirm the tree thing  when he looks at  my  yland and at a test area  where i  covered a cavern to see and  confirm  what happened.... as i leveled off the surface  trees  dropped  and i believe there actually one  growing inside the cavern!O.o