Cheitan

Ylands being unfriendly with slow internet connection

Hi all,

This is not yet a bug report, I only want to expose and discuss a problem I encounter very often. It seems that the Sharegame system is really uneasy with slow internet connections.

I was abroad a few days ago, and I had no trouble to join / download / upload a Sharegame initially started a while ago by one of my friends. My internet connection was pretty fast at that time, constantly downloading AND uploading at 10mbps. I could join or host any online game without any specific problem.

Now I'm back in my native countryside, and my internet connection hardly hit 4mbps in download, and around 1mbps in upload. If I try to host the Sharegame myself, downloading from the cloud is successful, but no one can join me ("connection interrupted" after a few seconds for all my friends). If I quit the game, the upload screen can progress until it reach approx. 11%, then stop uploading and go back to the main menu. None of the modifications are really uploaded, and if I try to launch it again I get the message asking me to choose between local data and cloud save. If any of my friends launch the game, all other can join it. But if I try to join, all online players experience a very low framerate while I'm downloading, and after a random time the loading just abort and show me the "connection interrupted" message.

This happens nearly every time I try to join an online game. The last time I tried, I had to fail like 10 times before finally joining the game. Once I'm in, there is no problem. Normal framerate is back for everyone, latency is low, everything looks good. Despite my internet connection is pretty slow, it is very stable and has low latency (usually around 37ms). I never experienced anything like this on any other games. Including network intensive ones, that are slow to load but work just fine afterward.

Do anyone experiences the same symptoms and general behaviour ?

Yeah Ylands does have problem with slow internet connection, but for client you just need stable connection to play pretty well. Different story for host, because host act like server, it constantly handling multiple players, including you(if you're the host). That being said, host need to be powerful enough (connection and hardware) to handle that.

For me personally I have no problem being client in PA region, but being host, my hardware couldn't handle it. My processor is already working hard for myself, she won't handle others well.. xD

Does it help if you reduce your settings so you are not using high def graphics?

Thanks for your answers,

This is not at all a hardware problem. When I was abroad I was playing on a decent laptop, and all was fine. Now that I'm here, I play on my main computer, which is a gamer desktop PC, waaaayy more powerful than the laptop. However I experience the same type of problems playing on the desktop or laptop. I assume that my problem has nothing to do with high definition graphics.

Yes I'm aware that hosting a game is more network-intensive (again, for the hardware part, no problem at all) than playing as a client. But as stated, I can't even play properly as a client, despite my connection is extremely stable. My Internet Provider is well known for providing slightly slower connection than other providers in the same area, but in a considerably more stable way. As stated previously, there is no connection loss, the latency is very low, and the jitter barely hit 8ms at worse. So considering stability, everything is fine, only the speed is bad. But constantly bad.

Is there something like a timeout in the game loading in Ylands ?

1 hour ago, Cheitan said:

Is there something like a timeout in the game loading in Ylands ?

What do you mean? If you mean timeout while "Downloading server data", then yes, but with current version of Ylands it's rarely happen (atleast for me). In previous version if I got timeout it will kick me from loading into the server with "Error Network Layer 2", now it will let you join the server but with fairly laggy movement/actions.

Hmmh, lets see your speedtest to the server location (your friend's ISP or their nearby City)
Example, this is my I-net when I'm trying to connect one of Czech server:

7444303660.png

Edited by V-Alfred

Here you can see the result given by Speedtest on the nearest server available when my friend is hosting the game. He has a very good internet connection (optic fiber) and a hardware even better than mine.

7444889309.png

As you can see, it is consistent with what I said in my first post. Low latency, but low speed too. And it seems not to be fast enough for Ylands to run properly, at least in simple client mode.

Yes, by "timeout" I mean the connection being dropped by the server because of the downloading time being too long. It look like this, when I fail to connect to my friend's game.

Hmmh, that makes me wonder, how long you takes to download usually? For me, "downloading server data" takes 2-3 minutes the longest.

I hope they get this game so you can play single player offline for just this reason.

1 hour ago, bojo2736 said:

I hope they get this game so you can play single player offline for just this reason.

I'm not really interested in playing alone, I feel bored really quickly, no matter what game it's about.

4 hours ago, V-Alfred said:

Hmmh, that makes me wonder, how long you takes to download usually? For me, "downloading server data" takes 2-3 minutes the longest.

Usually ? When I was abroad with a 10mbps download speed, it was around like 30s or 1mn for the very worst case. Now I'm here, when the loading can be completed it usually takes around 4mn. But most of the time the loading just fail after a time seemingly random. From 30s to sometimes 3mn.

13 minutes ago, Cheitan said:

Usually ?

if my i-net is normal usually less than a minute

Yes your current internet connection looks like the one I had previously. But having a slow connection cannot be such an obstacle to play a game as client. Encountering so much problems instead of just having a long loading time seems abnormal to me. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this issue and be able to play, let's say one over five times instead of one over ten ?

On 8/10/2022 at 2:59 PM, KRATOS12X said:

Loging failed

Please fix

Hi, 
Thank you for letting us know.
Logging into BI account?