Sign in to follow this  
bojo2736

Blueprinting 101

Maybe this is a topic that's not needed, but I thought I would share what I do to make blueprints.

First of all, you have to be on an explore map.  And you have to be under your barrier.  I generally don't try to blueprint the builds I do out in the wild. I mostly build on maps that I have access to the files in editor, so you may not be able to do this.  I make compositions of those in the editor and I may or may not blueprint, because it is an extra step.

What I usually do when I want to blueprint things is to start an SP Explore Map.  In the old days you could name your map, I don't see that as an option now.  then I go in, take my barrier out of inventory (unrepaired) and put it on the ground beside me.

Then I pull that map into my editor and do a few things. I find a large spot to level, clear it of vegetation and rocks and suck. Then I duplicate my barrier, making usually a dozen.  I give myself a cube and then save.  I also place out a container of some sort, not for security because I am by myself, but so I can put my extra barriers away and not lose them.

Now I have a place ready to build and blueprint.  Or I can plop down a composition in editor.  Be sure to unweld entity before saving.  There is one downside to using the cube.  You will sometimes place items that can not be crafted and therefore can not be blueprinted.  And some items, while craftable, do not blueprint.  

This is my set up for blueprint island.

Ylands_190427_075814.png

• Upvote 1

I should mention, if you don't know, that colors do blueprint, so if you paint something it will build that way in blueprinting. This is especially useful if you are wanting to have something with the alpha painting in the world.