Sign in to follow this  
Kevin2476

New to the game, dont understand anything about exploration.

I understand the crafting system. how to craft, how to get resources, how to tame creatures etc. on a solo map. in single player. but that's boring after some time.

so, here come questions in no particular order:

what a tames used for? i tamed goat for milk and sheep for wool but cotton is far better. you get 1 wool per sheep per 30 minutes which is nothing to the 100reds of cotton i get from a small farm in the same time.

is exploration a single player game? how does exploration work? i get i end up on an island on a small map with neighbors. are these server based maps or local ones? can other players enter my home map via ship an rob me? when I'm offline?

i understand i can leave the map by crossing a border like in atlas to visit other maps. are those new maps or already harvested maps by other players? can i rob those? do resources like iron/copper etc. respawn?

is there a way to fast travel from map to map like in atlas via a bed or other item? https://19216881.org/ https://1921681001.link/ https://19216801.digital/

why don't i have a field generator on exploration maps?

can i meet other players on those maps?

can you live on a boat as a base? any drawbacks?

are there any wall or ceiling tiles to ease the building process? i only can lay single wooden logs which take a lot of time building a home. and I cant find recipes for larger structures/walls/ceilings etc.

do multiplayer maps on servers reset/respawn resources like iron ore? what do you do on those maps when everything has been harvested? is it like rust when the server gets just wiped?

is there a guide about exploration i can read? i have reached about everything on single player local (all zirconium equipment) and feel bored.

if someone wants to explain, i have like 2k hours in atlas and ark so you can use analogies from there if you like.

and, please forgive if there is a good explanation on how the exploration maps work, i simples was to stupid to find it yet.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Kevin2476
Better legibility, no text change
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, Kevin2476 said:

that's boring after some time.

Yes, Ylands is much more fun playing with friends.

what a tames used for?

You can ride most tamed animals. Max mounted speed is here: https://ylands.fandom.com/wiki/Max_Mounted_Speed

sheep for wool but cotton is far better.

Yes, wool is useless for cloth, but there are some outfits that need it, especially warm clothes for visiting the arctic.

is exploration a single player game?

It has both single-player and multiplayer maps, so you can play either way.

how does exploration work?

I started making a guide-type thing here but it just has the basics for now: https://ylands.fandom.com/wiki/Exploration_Mode

are these server based maps or local ones?

There are servers, share-games, and local maps.

can other players enter my home map via ship an rob me? when I'm offline?

Your home map is automatically set to single-player, but you can change it to multiplayer by pressing ESC and then multiplayer settings in the bottom right. I recommend password protecting anything you only want to share with a few people. Alternatively, you can leave it without a password and use the Co-op settings (https://ylands.fandom.com/wiki/Co-op_Mode) to set non-friends to "visitor" status, so they can't dig/build/destroy things (note: they can still kill you and animals, and take all your crops).

i understand i can leave the map by crossing a border like in atlas to visit other maps. are those new maps or already harvested maps by other players? can i rob those? do resources like iron/copper etc. respawn?

A lot of the multiplayer maps called "sinking islands" have been harvested. The resources don't respawn but they will put new multiplayer maps up periodically. The single-player maps (blue question marks) are new and have not been harvested. You can always make those into multi-player. You can rob anywhere that you can access (visitors can't break into buildings or pick up hardened items, so you can't rob well where you are a visitor lol).

is there a way to fast travel from map to map like in atlas via a bed or other item?

No, but Aleš was very mysterious when we asked about this, so maybe sometime soon.

why don't i have a field generator on exploration maps?

They got rid of the barrier system. Instead of within the barrier, you can make blueprints and use the demo hammer/sledgehammer anywhere you are mayor (single-player maps, maps you own, and maps you have permissions).

can i meet other players on those maps?

You can meet other players on the multiplayer maps. You can also ask around on the Discord to meet up with a group of players (https://discord.gg/rPMRc4y)

can you live on a boat as a base? any drawbacks?

You can definitely do this (super rarely, people have their boats disappear, but I think all those bugs are being fixed ?). Technically, someone could steal your boat, but if you claim it that shouldn't be an issue. I like having a base/warehouse to store most of my stuff, because I think too much stuff on my boat causes lag sometimes, especially on multiplayer maps. Also, I like to farm, so I am the wrong person to ask. ?

are there any wall or ceiling tiles to ease the building process? i only can lay single wooden logs which take a lot of time building a home. and I cant find recipes for larger structures/walls/ceilings etc.y

There are 1x1x12 blocks and 4x4x1 blocks but not whole walls or whole ceilings. You can drag to place more than one at a time. One of the great things about Ylands is the ability to build so many different things instead of one type of structure, so I like the smaller blocks that provide more flexibility. But you can put it in suggestions on the forum if you want larger building blocks. (You might be able to blueprint a wall and then place it multiple times, but it might be a bit difficult to line it up).

do multiplayer maps on servers reset/respawn resources like iron ore? what do you do on those maps when everything has been harvested? is it like rust when the server gets just wiped?

They don't respawn resources, but if you run low (very difficult with 100 maps that are each full of resources) you can delete depleted maps and spawn new single-player maps. Non-exploration maps do get wiped (lag buildup + no more resources).

i have reached about everything on single player local (all zirconium equipment) and feel bored.

By the way, Guardian Armor is better than Zirconium Armor. If you are looking for a challenge, I recommend Journey to the 12 Kingdoms (servers within Ylands). Spyler and Christal made it and it has a ton of great mods and very difficult monsters, etc.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I prefer to put my bed/spawn on the ship I am using. If you die whilst exploring you dont go far. Pro tip, keep basic weapons and clothing on your ship, so you arent freezing and defenseless when you spawn back in. Also, if you can carry a lantern or crystal on you at all times. If you die it makes it easier to find your stuff.

• Upvote 2

I definitely use my bed on my boat when exploring as well, but I bring stuff back to various bases too. The tip about keeping an extra weapon near your spawn point is super useful since I usually have to fight whatever killed me to get my stuff back. In Exploration, you don't lose your clothing though. I actually like carrying a torch stand, so I can see my death pile, use it to keep warm if needed, and use it to light things instead of a flint lighter.

• Like 1