Sign in to follow this  
Hunter-Over-Fire

Rants on the New Ship Blocks

Question

(Please note that the following rants are based on my opinion)

The new Ship Device blocks are cool, and I do enjoy their concept, however I don't find them to be too handy. They're clunky, take up space, somewhat expensive, and tell you everything you could already have found out for yourself through a simpler manner. They also only lend you their information when you look at them, which is hard to do when not anchored, and it sometimes doesn't even work properly.

[SONAR]

The Sonar (Actually a Radar) kindly lets you know whenever you're nearing a random encounter while on your ship. The problem here is that you can already tell this by looking at the ship's compass.

[DEPTH METER]

The Depth Meter tells you how deep the water you are wading is, aswell as what biotope is below you at the time. The trouble with this is that you can already tell what biotope is currently below you by looking at the map and the biotope legend. Another problem is that you have to be directly over the biotope before the Depth Meter tells you, while the map alowes you to see what biotopes surround you without having to visit them.

[SPEED METER]

The Speed Meter tells you the speed at which your craft is currently traveling. It is an ambitious addition to the vehicles arsenal, but the fact that you have to forfeit control of your craft in order to view it makes it horribly tedious to use. People also don't care how exactly fast they're going as long as they're going the fastest they can possibly go towards their destination.

[FUEL METER]

The Fuel Gauge is cool and all, however it's flawed. First off, players either use sails or engines as means of propulsion on the ocean, and briefly after acquiring steam technology, they'll most likely replace it with a self-replenishing ylandium engine setup anyways. Players have probably also worked it out in their heads that the red light on the Steam engine means it's time to refuel.

[HULL INTEGRITY METER]

With ship health being re-introduced into the game, I feel like the Hull Integrity Meter does have some use, but again, trying to look at a glitchy interface on a moving ship is hard, but that's only if you want exact percentages I suppose.

[NAVIGATION TABLE]

The Navigation Table is the most useful item here in my opinion. It tells you everything you need to know about your craft without the need to look directly at it, aswell as whatever the other Ship Devices have to say.

I myself would say that it would be much more convenient to have all of the information displayed on the players' HUD while piloting the craft, rather than having to exit the helm in order to view everything manually. Perhaps those of the DEV Team will consider this, and maybe somewhere down the line this'll become a reality.

Edited by Hunter-Over-Fire
Editing the List
  • Like 2

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

I would disagree about the speedometer. I think it will finally settle the debate about top speeds of each ship and allows the players to know how many engines it takes to reach that top speed. I always felt sorry for players that spent all their resources building 30 engines on a catamaran when the top speed is achieved with only 3 engines. Also with the new damgae system in place the top speed goes down once the ship is damaged so it's a pretty good gauge of other ship issues that need repairing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

I would disagree about the speedometer. I think it will finally settle the debate about top speeds of each ship and allows the players to know how many engines it takes to reach that top speed.

I would agree too, but the point is that we did, can, and still do fine without them. I do agree that the speedometer can be helpful, but the way it currently works makes it hard to use. This is what makes the navigation table the best.

• Like 1