Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

Its getting more enjoyable

My  first  go at ylands  gave me the impression  of " well, its  passable , looks like fun...lets see where it goes"...    but i soon got hooked!

Now we have  weather. So your first  priority  now is to build  shelter... those  lightning  bolts look dangerous!

Also now,  your  fire will not  stay alight  if its out in the rain...  no  fire ..no light ...and there's wolves etc outdoor!  I had one  sitting  alongside my  camp  watching me..waiting for  daylight. Luckily  i had  crafted a wooden spear and survived.   

When you try to sleep, you cannot  if there's  danger... you get the message  "not  safe to sleep here". The  danger can be from sleeping  in a iron bed near an window  during a storm .,  that lightning looks  scary!. Or  there could be  a ferocious  animal nearby... well not  quite..i have been  woken up  by  rabbits coming in through under  a wire gate...and once  i  was woken and  couldn't  sleep ...until i found a crab hiding under my bed. ( crab meat was delicious! ... it helps you sleep too  :-)    )

Ahh  these   ylands  developers .. they  sure  have   some humor!

My current  challenge is a   goat that has  strayed onto my  ship and camped near the  helm . making it  difficult  to operate the ship. It  wont leave..i have tried  using  hay to entice it off the ship .. with  no  success.  looks like i might  have to resort to more drastic  measures and provide a   goat skin  for  my tanning  rack.

Oh and here's a hint ..if you craft a crossbow and  crossbow  bolts,  don't  carry all your ammo with you. I  have a spare  crossbow and  some  bolts   in storage  (with a  spear)  that i can retrieve from my  camp should  i  get mauled  by a wolf/puma/bear/leopard etc. After  respawning, I can race back to my camp and  re-arm with a crossbow  or   other long range weapon  and after locating my corpse, deal with the  nasty beast  from a distance, if its   waiting nearby for  another go at you.

Sharks  don't like stone panels, it seems    they will follow  but  unlike  woden floors they have not  yet  penetrated one...and  also i notice the   sharks  will harass you if you are carrying  meat on yourself  or in a container on your  boat.. and usually  attack when you release the controls  to eat or consult  your  map.

The latest addition of having to  re-load the fires etc   in the  smelters  and  forges is  another great touch ...  makes the game more interesting

I wonder what else  they developers have  planned?  Their  sneak peeks  are intriguing...

another tip ..place a spear  and some  flints and wood pieces and an axe in a container  adjacent  to or  re-spawn  location  ;-)

Edited by kimbuck

Goat problem solved ....came out to  my pier and  there were 3 sharks  hiding under the boat..making those funny shark  noises...and  no goat. I think the goat might have fallen  off the deck and perished.

You have to hand it to the  developers...  those  noises the   sharks  make are appropriate and  funny. - Its concerning  when you release  the  boat controls  ..look at  your map  and hear that   'gloph-gloph" sound and  move the  camera view back and  see a shark  head  sticking  up through the deck  trying to   bite  your  backside!

The more I play Ylands, the more I am enjoying what the game currently has to offer.

I have played around 8-10 hours of the game and have only just discovered how-to rotate logs upwards, so I can create a proper shelter..

Anyway, the more I experiment with different items, the more I am learning. It only gets more enjoyable with the time you invest..!

• Upvote 1

I am addicted to this game..although hindered by a pathetic isp/internet connection which  seem  the screen freezing for  10 seconds or  mire  sometimes ( Australian  Wet knotted string   technology!)

Currently i have   discovered 9 islands....2 of which are  polar climate and impossible to   land on due to the  land steepness.  My  base island  has no caves from  what i can determine.. ..and is  suffering a  shark plague..i  encounter 10 or  more in packs  every time i  leave  my home port.

Some of the  scenery  shots  are amazing. Although i am having  difficulty in obtaining  some  raw  materials/ores ..and find  strange objects  hovering in the air  or on the ground that  have no explanation, i am persisting to see what eventuates as the game  progresses.

I have  brought back to my base island   all sorts of trees and plants, and  made it a routine of  replanting the seeds whenever i remove a tree, and the  island is  becoming   quite a forest!  I am also  filling in depleted mines and   re-vegetating them.There s is a massive   rock mountain which i hope to  flatten..and use the stone to build a  bridge to another nearby island  for  when i build  cars.

If i don't  get  terminated  by some   bug or  misfortune,  this game will go on for as long as i can survive.

Very enjoyable game and,  a great way to  spend  time on a computer when the  weather is miserable  outdoors!

Only  wish is  the  avatars are a bit too basic ...but then ..who  knows  what the  developers have  hidden up their  sleeves  for the future!:D

I usually plant trees only where I think it looks beautiful. I usually never cut trees that look good on the stage. Plants and trees that we use a lot I always plant 200 trees, and plants usually plant more than 300 in the same place without moving.

Your constructions at some point in the game begin to come to life as you think of them.

In the polar regions, I recommend using a torch lit, it helps a lot to keep the body warm.

You deserve a shark flag!

• Upvote 1

On 29/10/2017 at 7:11 PM, BigBoss87 said:

I usually plant trees only where I think it looks beautiful. I usually never cut trees that look good on the stage. Plants and trees that we use a lot I always plant 200 trees, and plants usually plant more than 300 in the same place without moving.

Your constructions at some point in the game begin to come to life as you think of them.

In the polar regions, I recommend using a torch lit, it helps a lot to keep the body warm.

You deserve a shark flag!

I cut down trees that are as far away from my base as possible. Gets a little tedious having to pickup all of the sticks, bark etc so it just stays on the floor.

Are there any specific trees that drop more logs?

37 minutes ago, Eriugam said:

I cut down trees that are as far away from my base as possible. Gets a little tedious having to pickup all of the sticks, bark etc so it just stays on the floor.

It's good to do that when you have a propeller pack.
Ilants I always sow alongside their tools or workstations.

37 minutes ago, Eriugam said:

Are there any specific trees that drop more logs?

Every tall trees

I'm not certainn but I think if we cut a young tree, when we plant it it will be a young tree forever. I have to test to see if it is anyway.

You may want a tree of a certain size in a certain place.  :)

Edited by BigBoss87