Sign in to follow this  
anna_svecova

Dev Diary #251 Focused feedback

Ahoy Ylanders,

With the update release coming closer, our work is focusing on polishing all the details and quirks. This week we held an event called a focus test. What is a focus test you ask?

"Focus tests help us find out information about our game through the eyes of new players. While working long enough on one project your view of the game can become subjective (you know how everything works, where to find everything, and what to avoid doing). It essentially prevents you from seeing the game the way a first-time player does. We try to follow how people understand the main menu, and user interface, if the player knows where to find everything in the inventory and other screens and if tutorials and hints are helpful enough. We have had a great experience with focus tests in the past in our Ylands team and I find them an important part of game development."

- Michaela Bódi, QA Lead

We invited some of our friends to come to play the game in our office and give us honest feedback. They have never played the game before. This time we wanted to know what a new player thinks of the tutorial, progression, and overall feel of the game. We had designers and marketing there to collect all the information and after 2 hours of playing we sat down with our testers and they told us what they think of the game. 

How did it go?

Everyone loved the day, our friends had fun exploring a new video game and we got pages and pages of valuable feedback. We already had a first meeting where we discussed our notes. You will see some changes regarding clarity and simplicity in the future, that came from our focused feedback. Huge thank you to everyone involved!

Stay Classy!

DD251.png

• Like 7

Im a long player, but having a break for an year. I could have faked i dont know the game and you could have invited me and pay trip to there 😁 im jealous

next time JC next time 

But indeed, a new player see things in a different way and can also see things that we long-time players haven't.

• Haha 2