rihapat

Dev Diary #293 Artists Commentary: New Assets in Progress

Ahoy Ylanders!

Today we want to show you something artistic. Yes, there will be pictures, new pictures and assets that you can look forward to, but that's not all. Today you will find out what were the thoughts of our artists Filip and Kuba while they prepared the new assets. Let's get into it!

Chalk formations in Arid by Filip

"We are always looking for some references. As you can see, the chalk formations on Earth offer some really bizarre constitutions but once you put those into the Arid's orange/red shades it can emit some serious "Mars vibes"."

Ylands_230905_171733.jpg

Skinwalker by Kuba

"Seriously, when I was looking up references for Skinwalker I ended up having nightmares. I guess it makes sense when your main reference is werewolf. I tried to make its face blunt a bit like the kobolds from World of Warcraft, so it wouldn't be that scary and also I aimed for, let's say druid-ish vibe so the Skinwalker fits among our Wendigo and Goatman."

Steam_1920x1080_02.jpg

Takahe bird by Filip

"It is quite interesting what you can learn through artistic research! For example, takahe bird lives in swamps, and if they eat some specific leaves then they lay blue or green eggs. Also, their eggs have interesting patterns so if you feed them correctly you don't need to paint any eggs during Easter! Fun fact, you might notice, that all Ylands' eggs are blueish, well, now you know why!"

Steam_1920x1080_04.jpg

Thank you, guys, for sharing your thoughts and creating these beautiful assets!

If you are even more interested into how Ylands assets are created, you should check the diary about Jackals right HERE. Let us know what you think about these assets and in the meantime...

Stay Classy!

• Like 4

OMG you are adding Takahe birds which are endemic to my country, I am crying with happiness! 😭 We thought they went extinct and are fighting to bring their population numbers back up, so this is extremely beautiful to see them represented in my favourite game! 🥰 I am going to make sure they never go extinct on my Ylands that's for sure. Thank you Filip and the team 🤩 this feels like a dream

• Like 1