-Shojiki-

Island distribution

Hi all,

My friend and I decided to venture out into the ocean in search of new lands last night. However, after travelling south for 2 hours, we didn't come across anything. No land, birds, sharks, flotsam etc... just endless rolling waves.. Eventually we did a 180 and curved back home..

So my question is this: Are the islands only distributed in a clump around the starter island and we were just unlucky and missed the other islands? If so, should we have at least come across some debris and other POIs out in the ocean? If not, I don't really see the point in there being a vast open ocean. I love this game, and it's great fun, but sailing for 2 hours without any kind of reward kinda sucks...

Someone else and I posted about this same thing in the bugs forum since finding nothing at sea for so long seemed like it could be a glitch of some kind. Seems so far like you can just have really bad luck with it, but it definitely seems like a problem issue to me with how boring and frustrating it is finding nothing at all in the ocean for days. One user suggested that birds fly between islands, so to avoid this maybe you can't just set sail in any direction and instead have to circle your island until you find a bird to basically follow elsewhere, but I haven't tried this yet.

1 minute ago, Weizarred said:

One user suggested that birds fly between islands, so to avoid this maybe you can't just set sail in any direction and instead have to circle your island until you find a bird to basically follow elsewhere, but I haven't tried this yet.

This is what you should do, yeah :)

Thanks guys... So just to confirm, are islands distributed randomly and can be found in the further reaches of the ocean, or are they generally located near the start island? We didn't actually see any birds which is why we just set off south hoping to see birds further out.

Since it's all randomly generated, it really depends. But as a general rule, do not get deep into the ocean, just try to find a bird the moment you leave the land (possibly even locate a bird while you're still on your yland). Having a map helps a lot too!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ane. Will there be a reason to go out deep into the ocean in the future? I love the idea of being out at sea for days, but currently it seems like there's no reason to do it..

Maybe there should me *more* birds, or some other signs?

They are hard to see anyway, couple that with bad weather - rain, fog - and Nighttime obviously, the chances of spotting seem slim

Yeah it can be tough spotting them. That's why i was wondering if islands are further out. At least then a general rule would be something like, turn around if no birds are seen after 15 mins...

Yes, you're right, we'll definitely improve this.

Regarding the ocean exploration, look for floating debris, that means you can find stuff underwater ;)

Hi, bought the game on the release day on Steam, and I was quite thrilled about it. Until I set sail for 1h expecting to find more islands and found out that the number of islands was finite! That let me down big time :(. If I had found another islands after 1h voyage it would have been amazing.

Are there plans to include infinite procedurally generated islands? (or at least a lot of them on a very big big map)

Edited by InvictusESP
  • Upvote 1

Will there be a time when we can start a new game and it will randomly generate infinite or just lots and lots and lots of islands of various sizes and bioms depending on location of course.  Ohhh and a MAP to make sure you know where you are and of course where you've been.  :) 

Her is how my biomes are setup on the save I am playing now. See how they are all remotely close to each other. On a boat that has 2 main sails and a small sail I can bounce from island to island in about 5 mintes. If the water starts getting darker then there is not an island even close. I usually will circle my island till I see seagulls that are very faint. I sail towards then and just adjust my ship to the direction they are flying. My first try I sailed for over 2 hours before knowing ths and just restarted. But at least this will give you an idea how the island are setup.  Every map is different so don't take this as how yours is setup but they all fit in this same rectangle 

15997A140A53301B3EA4BAADAC02AD245F05D806

Edited by Dustin Michael
  • Upvote 2