paulsoaresjr

Please Explain Exploration Mode

Hi! So I'd played a bit of Ylands about a year ago but have since lost touch. Can someone please explain the new "Exploration" mode or at least point me in the direction of write-up somewhere? Is it procedural? Is it (near) infinite (ala Minecraft)? Are there generated structures/ruins/dungeons/etc to discover? Wildlife? NPCs/Quests? I realize Ylands is still in development so much of this might not be in the game yet but planned for the future but I'd still like to know what the ultimate feature-set will be. 

Thanks!

Hi,

it's nice to see people come back after some time to check what's new! :)

When you start a new Exploration mode game we create quite a large map for you with around a dozen of various ylands - some are covered with jungles, some with ice etc. It is not only the fauna and flora what makes them different - they contain various resources, cave systems (some even really deep caves with rare Ylandium crystals - those however are populated by very powerful mutated animals so you'd better first move high enough in the tech-tree to get you some nice weapons or armor).

In order to get to other ylands you'll need to build a ship, boat or at least a raft (currently other ylands are not visible from long distances so you can follow birds flying over the sea that can lead you to another piece of dry land).

Exploration is basically the showcase mode of the game - then there are some less sophisticated games created within the Ylands editor and the editor itself.

On the ylands (and also in the sea as well - indicated by floating debris) you can find "Points of interest", randomly generated places with structures, loot or even puzzles and riddles.

As for the future of Exploration mode: we are working on improved AI and NPCs (both friendly and hostile), which will make the Exploration mode even more fun. Also a sort of a story mode is in the works, that will lead you through several maps to Exploration game ending.

• Upvote 3

The only watercraft I see available are rafts; no boats or ships.  Are they in game yet or what do I need to have/do to understand the crafting path for boats/ships?

Never mind I found some other information on this.  

Edited by ConsoleContempt
  • Upvote 1