Aethelis

A bunch of questions

hey,

after playing some more exploration mode, i collected a couple of questions (and no, not sulfur again, i finaly found some :D  ). and feel free to pack recipe questions into a riddle.. i like those!

- in the trailer i saw those birch trees on what looks like a non-arid yland. can i find these by exploring or not yet?

- black panther hides... is there any use for those pelts (besides decorating my home)? cant make leather or anything else it seems.

- steel! i tried realy hard to find out how to make it. i know how steel is made and i'm guessing that a game would probably use the open-hearth furnace way/recipe to do it. that would mean, that its limestone i'm missing... is there limestone? or is it something completly different?

- i noticed, that the ground (dirt) color changes in areas i cut down the trees and/or gathered the plants. is this some sort of ecosystem or just a cosmetic thing?

- is it intended, that papersheets made in the press does not stack? i remember the paper from dismantled books does..

the last isnt a proper question, more like a suggestion maybe.. ;)  if i'm missing a recipe here, enlighten me.

the sea urchin spines.. maybe we could combine them with cotton (and maybe even toadstool) into blowgun darts. and craft a blowgun from bamboo or a pole..

thanks!

You need to find some coal, I finally found some on an island south of where I started. I also found a really arid land where sulphur was on the surface.

Hey, Aethelis! 

I'll be glad to answer your questions.

> in the trailer i saw those birch trees on what looks like a non-arid yland. can i find these by exploring or not yet?

Yes you can indeed find them. Birches only spawn on one type of yland :) 

>black panther hides... is there any use for those pelts (besides decorating my home)? cant make leather or anything else it seems.

That's a bug, you should definitely be able to craft leather out of those! Thanks for reporting it.

>steel! i tried realy hard to find out how to make it. i know how steel is made and i'm guessing that a game would probably use the open-hearth furnace way/recipe to do it. that would mean, that its limestone i'm missing... is there limestone? or is it something completly different?

Yep, as Tracat already mentioned, coal is the way to go ;)

>i noticed, that the ground (dirt) color changes in areas i cut down the trees and/or gathered the plants. is this some sort of ecosystem or just a cosmetic thing?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, I have never encountered anything like this. Can you please provide a screenshot/video? Thank you :)

>is it intended, that papersheets made in the press does not stack? i remember the paper from dismantled books does..

Paper sheets shouldn't stack because of the new writing system.

And yes - books can be dismantled into paper sheets that stack, but that is a bug and it will be fixed in a soon to be released hotfix. Thanks for bringing our attention to this issue! :)

>the sea urchin spines.. maybe we could combine them with cotton (and maybe even toadstool) into blowgun darts. and craft a blowgun from bamboo or a pole..

Great suggestion! Thank you! :)

• Upvote 2

thanks again.

i just started a spot to show what i think i noticed about the errosion.

one thing that i'm sure now, is the dragon statue in one of my older saves. when found it was amidst some trees and there was light green ground. i picked up the ash heaps, cut some trees did stuff.. and the area around the statue turned slowly to a more yellowish ground color.  so it might have to do something with the statue in this case...

i'll post pics if something changes in the experimental area.

the area i run the test for desertification is still green..  maybe it had something to do with the angle the light hit the ground. not really changed as far as i can tell. i'll keep watching it.

but another couple of questions arose:

- the puma hide also seems to be broken, i cant use it in the tanning rack.

- wanted to ask if i maybe miss something about climazones. i really would like the option to start on a more temperate yland. i keep starting on arid/tropical ylands. once in a while on a yland with oaks and conifers. would be lovely to live near some birches tho  :)

- does anyone have a picture that shows how coal looks?

- i have a few ylandium crystals now, but i'm hesitant to turn them into dust. do i need the whole crystal later (i have the ylandium torch recipe so far), or is it mainly the dust i need?

thanks

14 hours ago, Aethelis said:

the area i run the test for desertification is still green..  maybe it had something to do with the angle the light hit the ground. not really changed as far as i can tell. i'll keep watching it.

but another couple of questions arose:

- the puma hide also seems to be broken, i cant use it in the tanning rack.

- wanted to ask if i maybe miss something about climazones. i really would like the option to start on a more temperate yland. i keep starting on arid/tropical ylands. once in a while on a yland with oaks and conifers. would be lovely to live near some birches tho  :)

- i have a few ylandium crystals now, but i'm hesitant to turn them into dust. do i need the whole crystal later (i have the ylandium torch recipe so far), or is it mainly the dust i need?

thanks

Not sure about the two first questions but coal looks abit brownish. sticks out from the regular grey stone.

1 crystal turns into 1 dust, so i would rather kill the mutated beasts and crush the bone, mostly since i dont know if the whole crystal is used for anything yet

Hello again!

- the puma hide also seems to be broken, I cant use it in the tanning rack.

Also being fixed, you'll be able to craft leather from it in the next update :)

- wanted to ask if i maybe miss something about climazones. i really would like the option

to start on a more temperate yland. i keep starting on arid/tropical ylands. once in a while on a yland with oaks and conifers. would be lovely to live near some birches tho  :)

In explore mode, you start in a random biome. But you can build a raft / boat and explore new types of ylands!

Check out this video! It shows how all mineable materials look like.

At this time it's better to turn them into dust, you can't do anything with raw crystals :)

• Upvote 1