Sign in to follow this  
cannajan

demo - like constant night

Question

The demo loads and runs fine, but its like its always night, even on the main menu page where your player stands its dark, I can see silhouettes of the trees and the player but nothing on the ground, its the same when I start a game, I can move around, pick things up, craft, but I cant see where I'm going.

I tried /settime this lightens the sky a bit, but its not a true sky, no stars or clouds just black or grey. as I move mouse I can sometimes see my player in her underwear, I can see what I pick up in the inventory and on hotbar.

Am running win7, i5-760, gtx275hd, 8G ram

• Upvote 1

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

I believe the GTX275 does not have the required support for DirectX 11. 

When I tried with a GT240 as a temp replacement while ordering a new graphics card, I had the same issue.

Edited by Sprout

My graphic card does run directX 11, wont do 12

Time for a new card I suppose

On 5/12/2017 at 7:57 PM, cannajan said:

The demo loads and runs fine, but its like its always night, even on the main menu page where your player stands its dark, I can see silhouettes of the trees and the player but nothing on the ground, its the same when I start a game, I can move around, pick things up, craft, but I cant see where I'm going.

I tried /settime this lightens the sky a bit, but its not a true sky, no stars or clouds just black or grey. as I move mouse I can sometimes see my player in her underwear, I can see what I pick up in the inventory and on hotbar.

Am running win7, i5-760, gtx275hd, 8G ram

A screen shot would be awesome.  You can upload directly to the forums.

The answer is, no, you might have DirectX11 installed on your computer but GTX275 will not support DirectX 11

It is Win7 that supports DX11 but not DX12 

If you decide to get a new card, the GTX1050 is pretty economical and can often be found new under $100 (see neweggs, sometimes they have sales on these). 

if your budget is super tight, you can also look for a secondhand card on ebay for someone selling their GTX650 or GTX750ti as these will will run the game nicely and can often be found used for $25-$35 

(Some people always need "the very latest" and will upgrade their otherwise-perfectly-good-card card every year or so, so buying a secondhand one is a bit risky but usually okay.)

All of those cards have very low power requirements (less than your current GTX275), need no additional 6-pin power cable connections, so can usually be installed in any standard mid tower compuer with PCI-E slots.

Rest of your computer looks very nice!

And GTX275 was originally a super nice card in its day. Just time for a new one as this won't be the last game where you have DX11 issues.

Edited by Sprout
  • Upvote 1