WijkagentAdrie

Explore server experiences/requirements

Question

Hello,

I've been hosting my server now for about a week on multiple maps and been looking at how things are going and what we need. In this topic I will be listing the things that are useful/necessary features to have a fun experience with a larger group of players on a server. Bugs will not be covered.

Automatic regrowth of animals and plants: One of the problems I noticed is certain types of plants vanishing from the spawn island, for example cotton. Players pick cotton, build a boat and sail to another island, until there is no cotton left for anyone since nobody replanted any. It would be nice if we would have random planted seeds matching the biome spawning every now and then. When stuff gets more scarce players will notice, harvest it and probably plant some more for themselves :) Same goes for animals, you currently need leather in quite a few recipes. It would be nice if for example the blacksmith forge could be made with more sustainable items.

Larger vains: Vains actually run out pretty quick on the surface at the moment. The problem at the moment is that the veins on the starter islands run out really quick. For new players joining after a while there will be no easy ores left, instead they have to make huge holes or go in dangerous caves. If there are more islands available for people to start on then this wouldn't be much of a problem as players can leave the starting island and get their own island. See the next point for this.

"Infdev": Space, islands and resources are finite now. Therefor there is a maximum amount of players that can play the game, the earlier someone joins the more there will be left for them. If the game would automatically generate new islands, or even better, certain groups of islands, people could set sail to a new island for them to start out. Each group of players can have their own place yet they can all visit eachother, trade, or share islands together.

Code locks: The option to store your loot away safe, so if you die nobody can take your stuff. Same goes for doors, if you lose the keys you are locked out and someone else can get in.

Admin tools: Currently everyone can do whatever he wants wherever he wants. There is no protected buildings/area's, no pvp/pve only area's, no player building rights. It would be nice to have the possibility of being able to mark area's/zones with such flags/categories.

Another admin tool could be a whitelist system, ranks with different privileges, to open doors, build on island xyz, etc.

Have the possibility to restore the results of griefing locally, or regenerate parts of ylands to their original state based on the seed? This could refresh the spawn island to keep it playable for all players.

Player tools: The power to form groups and a permission system to build would be nice. Builds could be either group or per player controlled. Access to certain containers as well. Something like a plotpole of tool cupboard maybe?

Server tools: Make it possible to start, restart and load up the server with some batch files/commands for easier hosting. Also Linux would be nice as windows usually costs about 25€ per month.

I'll add to this topic if I find anything else we can use :) 

Adrie

• Upvote 6

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

On 6/19/2017 at 0:05 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Automatic regrowth of animals and plants: One of the problems I noticed is certain types of plants vanishing from the spawn island, for example cotton. Players pick cotton, build a boat and sail to another island, until there is no cotton left for anyone since nobody replanted any. It would be nice if we would have random planted seeds matching the biome spawning every now and then. When stuff gets more scarce players will notice, harvest it and probably plant some more for themselves :) Same goes for animals, you currently need leather in quite a few recipes. It would be nice if for example the blacksmith forge could be made with more sustainable items.

So, rather this is a feature or not. I think I would like to have this as an option rather than a true fix. I actually enjoyed the fact that I had to pay attention to my resource management, and made sure to continue to save half of my crop for re-seeding :)

8 hours ago, silentghoust said:

So, rather this is a feature or not. I think I would like to have this as an option rather than a true fix. I actually enjoyed the fact that I had to pay attention to my resource management, and made sure to continue to save half of my crop for re-seeding :)

Sounds fair to make it an option :) Although without any whitelisting on a server all crops will be gone from starterisland within half a second :D 

Heya!

0.5 hasn't only added some nice features, it also fixed multiplayer a lot and a few of the mentioned "problems" mentioned in this topic. I have a few more specific suggestions/questions:

1) Animal respawning: how does it roughly work? I've heard that there's a threshold, below which animals will respawn. Do you still need to have 2 goats on an island to get new goats? Or will they respawn when there aren't any left?

2) Does the respawning system also include grass/plants/trees?

3) Also, can we lock cars and boats, preferrably with code locks?

4) I think it took only 30 minutes before the first fights/arguments started on my server. As usual it started with some miscommunication and before you know things got out of hand. Also half an hour later a griefer entered the server and built in someone elses house with loads of dirt, sand and wooden blocks. I believe now is the time to get more admin tools, raw output logs with who does what/when/where to who/what. Also more "self protection" in the form of plotpoles/tool cupboards, where you can set rights maybe per chest/furnace, so you can have public chests and private chests, or maybe chests only for your group? Also the option to enable/disable pvp on certain locations would be nice :) 

Ylands_170904_021901.thumb.png.fdbc677553030ae86ba5a8992d494ace.png

This used to be someones base, but within 1 day it ended up like this already. Although it is 100 blocks next to the spawn this shouldn't be happening. In the background is an attempt to restore some terraforming griefing. :( 

5) A setting which would increase ore output would be nice, for example same size veins will yield 2x, 5x or 10x more ore. At the moment the first few islands get used up quite fast.

Thanks for reading!

Adrie

Edited by WijkagentAdrie

Hey Adrie,

1) to be honest animal respawning works real bad right now. We tried to go with kind of a "realistic approach" where the animals procreate are but given how small many ylands are and that it's super easy to kill off all the animals quite quickly that now leaves the ylands empty anyway. We want to change this behavior soon so that animals respawn more often and (at least larger) ylands don't become dead forever anymore. 

2) no, that is yet another thing that needs to be implemented

3) not now but we see where this is coming from and we're already thinking about it

4) yes, I hear you. Definitely something we need to remedy

5) good point! We'll discuss that - thanks! :)

2 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Hey Adrie,

1) to be honest animal respawning works real bad right now. We tried to go with kind of a "realistic approach" where the animals procreate are but given how small many ylands are and that it's super easy to kill off all the animals quite quickly that now leaves the ylands empty anyway. We want to change this behavior soon so that animals respawn more often and (at least larger) ylands don't become dead forever anymore. 

2) no, that is yet another thing that needs to be implemented

3) not now but we see where this is coming from and we're already thinking about it

4) yes, I hear you. Definitely something we need to remedy

5) good point! We'll discuss that - thanks! :)

Thanks! On to the next big steps for Ylands :)