On our map, there is a tower with a sphere container at the top and then the other side of the island is a big metal box floating with two balloon things...anyone else had this and found out how to access them?! 

I have (or had) the metalbox you describe, I think... but I'm afraid my solution to get it open was a bit too drastic... put one of those gunpowder kegs on it against the box-part and then shot the keg with an arrow. Endresult: I still have something floating in the air, but it has lost just about everything on and in it. :)  (Had a small accident with a keg on the ground too - wanted to hit a newly crafted something to redo it, wrongly placed - accidentally hit the keg instead... left a nice pile of bones, a super-deep hole in the ground, and a couple of machines tumbled to the bottom of that crater too - lesson learned, kegs are strong things ;) ) So that's one way to not try to get into it (haven't managed yet to get into anything in a more civilised way though).

Edited by Cinghri

Lol... awesome idea buddy... I was stunned when i saw this, I love these points of interest and stuff to find underground, would love to see more of these....

I just got dynamite, I wonder what it will do to that tall structure.... ?