Soondead-27d3f9fbcbfb78c3

Shovel sometimes just doesn't flatten

Question

This has happened to me several times while playing with a DS: As I try to flatten an area, there are some patches that the shovel simply seems to ignore. I can relog, switch tools, use the pickaxe or some dirt to slightly alter the terrain, then try again over and over and over again but certain terrain nodes just won't flatten no matter what I do. I keep trying from different angles, first/third person perspective, walk away and back again. Nothing helps. The shovel is in pristine condition, I get the "swoosh" sound and the animation... and the terrain STILL doesn't budge. Quite frustrating.

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

It will not   flatten areas of  stone.... nor will it  flatten areas where the soil is too high .. you need to reduce the height with a shovel first.   Sand  and such  is  easy ..but again  it also depends  on the  direction your  avatar is  facing ...usually it  flattens an area  offset to one   side....not  directly in front.   But again it is a little  "iffy"  ..i couldn't  flatten an area  one  day ,  and  upon returning the next  had  no problems!

Blame it on  rogue  pixels ...:P

This is dirt, and I've flattened quite a lot of terrain so I know how it's supposed to work. Using the pick and careful placing of dirt, I've even adjusted the problem areas so it's either juuust above or below the appropriate level so we're talking about centimeter adjustments (if that makes any sense)

Still nothing.

I too have seen this before and the next day the problem vanished, but in my mind that just goes to prove that there's SOMETHING wrong here and the devs will probably want to look into it. If we get our way, the shovel tool will be improved to deal with verticals and slopes, maybe they should look into this problem as well while they're touching that code. Or the new and improved shovel might just inherit this nasty bug and bury it even deeper :-)