Apokh

First thoughts on Ylands (~100 hrs played)

Hello out there,

after playing Ylands for about 100 hours now, I want to give some feedback on whats on my mind about the current state of the game and what I´d really love to see in the near future.
Please excuse wrong use of language, if you finds some- for my native language is not english ;)

At first let me say, that I bought Ylands on EA Release in November 17. I was very sceptical - even though I had the chance to sneak peak it on gamescom last year for over an hour.
When the DS was implemented Ylands got interesting for me. And as I started to have a small server for relaxed Ylanding when my ARK friends where not there I enjoyed Ylands more and more.

I really love the grafix style- even though it was love on second sight tbh.
One of the most satisfying mechanics, is the exploration. Finding new Ylands, ne ressources and new things to craft and to build.
Therefore I really need to mention, that te "arrangement" of NSC Buildings and remains of former visitors on the ylands really cought me. 
To find a tree house wich seems recently left or a tipi in the desert which seems to be left head over heels after some kind of native-cowboy orgy is what makes a big part of the charme of ylands.

298610_screenshots_20180511114139_1.thumb.jpg.66386de28bb5d96bef90fc504918f0db.jpg

Another thing which is sooo nice (!!!!!1111) is the "free placement" of all Objects in the world. I guess that this is a big challenge for a (multiplayer) game but don´t dare to take it away.

298610_screenshots_20180521003624_1.thumb.jpg.6095002570c0c77115d10e4c4c10f807.jpg

The performance...yes...the performance...
Last year I began to build my "dream rig". I´m old enough to be a pragmatic "pc upgrader" so I´m atm playing on a Ryzen 1700X with 16GiGs of DDR4 3000 and a EVGA GTX1070 - which - In my eyes is a pretty okay top-midrange rig. Ylands settings on High or Ultra do not really affect FPS- which are most time "okay" but with pretty ugly drops sometimes.
I dont need Ylands to run on 60FPS all the time, but constat frametimes is the big challenge with "such games". It´s a problem all "these games" like Ylands, ARK, Dark and Light etc. do have to deal with. But at the moment - pre alpha- it does not matter too much to me. It´s playable.

298610_screenshots_20180521012418_1.thumb.jpg.6a9ed5c5a82eb4e862bbff91a84584c5.jpg

At the end of my "first look" let me point out some things I´d really, really like to see in Ylands in the "not too far" future:

- more "electricity" workstations such as foundry, kiln and smelters
- more "steam stuff" with ....STEAM...and Cogwheels and all this  -perhaps trains :D
- I really need a tool or objects I can build "tracks" with - my idea to have a racing track on our Yland lacks of stones being not destructable (even after having the mining drill which was my last hope) and these stones also have the might to float when I dig away the gound they where lying on Q.Q
- I need a shipyard, where it is possible to build ships on solid ground without the movement of the ocean
- farm animals and much more food receipes
- some descriptions/ tutorials or a better wiki where I can take a look, when I don´t get a receipe/blueprint and don´t know whats missing to get it into my crafting list

Download.thumb.jpg.8138f6f95887899ca5afa88dcba314e5.jpg

There are some points in the sneak peaks and in the announcement - which I dont seperately want to mention at this point, for I know they are coming - such as companions, progammable circuits and  (big exclamation mark) the improvements for the dedi servers (replenishing ressources, orp, performance, spawn, rules etc.)

So far my first look at this point.
Have a nice time in Ylands - looking forward to whats coming.

Download (1).jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback! I'm especially glad you enjoyed the random sites and exploration.

Awesome, welcome to thousand hours journey, you just enter the gate of Valhalla. :D Next 500 hours will be spend in Editor if you like to design stuff. ^_^

Edited by V-Alfred

3 hours ago, V-Alfred said:

Aw Next 500 hours will be spend in Editor if you like to design stuff. ^_^

Yeah, I just jumped down that rabbit hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1