Indomitus

New Ylands PVP Arena

I'm finishing up work on a new arena, and I want to upload it to the workshop soon.  First though, I wanted to get some opinions on some parts of it.

For now, I have given it the name "Sky Octagon Arena."  It's inspired by the Sky Arena created by the Ylands Team.

Ylands_181006_101759.thumb.png.0940d88e2e326d9f2857e5a78104c7b7.png

Ylands_181006_101315.thumb.png.56c694c454d701d9ec5bd20aadefa5ce.png

A few highlights:

• The play area is 3 levels, with ramps between them and narrow catwalks across the top and bottom levels.
  • There are no teams.  Each player is on their own.
  • When a player spawns or respawns, it is randomized into one of the block buildings.  That makes it nearly impossible for someone to camp a spawn point.  (The block buildings are locked, by the way.  The doors only open for someone coming out.)
  • Players start with only a grass shirt, grass skirt, and a practice sword.
  • If you die, you lose all of your items and start over.  And there is no looting of somebody else's body.  Those items are destroyed when the player is killed.
  • When a player dies, the body is immediately transported off the map.  This prevents the grave markers from littering the play area.
  • New weapons and armor spawn randomly every so often across 16 different spawn locations across all 3 levels of the arena.  (Not all 16 spawns get something every time.)
  • Weapon spawns are randomized from "Tier 1" (weak weapons and armor, like Machete or Leather Armor) and "Tier 2" (stronger weapons and armor, like War Hammer or Iron Armor)
  • Sometimes (rare) it does not spawn from those, but instead spawns 1 item only from its "Tier 3" list (guns and Mark I Armor).  Those spawn at the 17th spawn point, at the very center of the arena.  Gun spawns are already loaded, and there is NO spawn of new ammo.
  • Weapon spawns are not active unless there are at least 2 players online.  If someone leaves, and only 1 player is left, they are deactivated again.
  • Weather is randomized, and can change every 10 minutes (real time).
  • During the night, there is also a random chance of the lights being switched off, just to make it more interesting.
  • When a player logs out, PVP Immunity is turned on for them.  That means there is no killing of AFK players.  (I have not tested this part yet.)
  • Player scores are tracked and displayed on a Leaderboard UI.
  • I know a lot of these exploits were patched, but I also built in logic that prevents use of items like the Creator Cube and a few other select items.  If found on a player, it is deleted and the player gets an infraction.  For each infraction, their access to items is restricted more.  (#1 = No Tier 3 items, #2 = no Tier 2 items, #3 = No items at all)  This logic could be expanded to other things they could do that would be considered cheating.

So here is what I want opinions on:

1. The UI display.  I don't think it looks quite right, so what do you all think?  Color?  Text size?  Location?  I think in the upper part, the text is too small.  It can't be lower left because it would cover the Console feed.  At lower right it only covers the notices that you picked something up or dropped something, and that's not as important for this kind of gameplay.
  2. The name!  Right now I call it "Sky Octagon Arena" but I'd rather have something that sounds more interesting.  I just can't think of anything right now.
  3. The basic design in general.  Think it works as a PVP arena?

Parts that need to be tested:

1. Protection for offline players.
  2. Individual UI objects showing different information for each player.  I hope they work that way.  I'd hate to have to get rid of the top section of the UI.
  3. Basically all the things that only happen in Multiplayer.

The logic, by the way, is built in a way that I can easily transfer it to different map designs, and I have a couple ideas I've started playing with.  At least one of them would also have animal spawns.  :D

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Still need to test a few parts of it.  If you know anyone interested in giving it a try, I might put it up as a shared game for testing.

Once I know it's running right, it will be posted in the Workshop.

It's published in the workshop!  Feel free to check it out, download it, play it, open it in the Editor and see how it ticks...  If you have any questions, just ask.

https://workshop.ylands.com/asset/673

And if you find anything that's not working right, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it.

• Like 1