RedEagle_P1.

Insightful video from Ylands devs

Thought I would make a topic for this one. 

I thought this bit was insightful: 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Thanks 1

This was like a really filling Dev Diary xD Thanks for sharing, it was really interesting!

Why Early Access and why we didn't wait for a final product?

I can't speak for everybody so just my bit.

I find some beauty in Early Access, the more if devs are actually communicating with the players along the way. To see the game grow, advance, change. It adds one more layer to the game for me. Because it's not just the game itself, it's the process. Of many fulfilled wishes, of losing the whole save due to a bug that leaves you just in your underwear and deletes all items and blocks in the entire game, of bugs that drove you mad entire months, of final fixes of them, of new worlds created because -trust it or not- now there are caves!, of features you have to wave goodbye to (I miss you Replicator ❤), of players slowly discovering the game features because there isn't (wasn't) any gamepedia, and last but not least - of flying sharks. Try to say it doesn't sound great. Well, many of my friends did tell me that, but I still think that well done EA is an unforgettable experience. If a polished AAA game is an evening in a luxury hotel, then EA is a night hike through an unmapped forest.

Which is a compliment by the way. May not sound like it. But it definitely is. :P

• Like 3

On 12/11/2018 at 12:49 AM, Miguel Preguisa said:

This was like a really filling Dev Diary xD Thanks for sharing, it was really interesting!

Why Early Access and why we didn't wait for a final product?

I can't speak for everybody so just my bit.

I find some beauty in Early Access, the more if devs are actually communicating with the players along the way. To see the game grow, advance, change. It adds one more layer to the game for me. Because it's not just the game itself, it's the process. Of many fulfilled wishes, of losing the whole save due to a bug that leaves you just in your underwear and deletes all items and blocks in the entire game, of bugs that drove you mad entire months, of final fixes of them, of new worlds created because -trust it or not- now there are caves!, of features you have to wave goodbye to (I miss you Replicator ❤), of players slowly discovering the game features because there isn't (wasn't) any gamepedia, and last but not least - of flying sharks. Try to say it doesn't sound great. Well, many of my friends did tell me that, but I still think that well done EA is an unforgettable experience. If a polished AAA game is an evening in a luxury hotel, then EA is a night hike through an unmapped forest.

Which is a compliment by the way. May not sound like it. But it definitely is. :P

The upside for me has been how open the developers have been to chat and also listen to feedback and implement features. ^_^

The downside is the save bug my main account has which randomly deletes content :/

Early access is early access, you gotta enjoy it for what it is.