Indomitus

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-18107] Infinite resources

Question

By accident I found a bug that allows any item to deconstruct inside the protective barrier, if placed on the ground and hit with the demolition hammer.  (Other hammers might do it too.)

Roasted food items will "deconstruct" to the raw version.  Roasted meat becomes raw meat, roasted fruit becomes berries (elderberries when I tried it), and so on.

A pole will "deconstruct" and become a stick.  Rope will become grass.  Leather will become boar hide.  Cloth will become 3 yarn.  Yarn will become flax.

Tools will deconstruct to the exact materials used to create them.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Ylands_190728_153016.thumb.png.1797d142a7b3f7f745d1660db6c95c2f.png

Ylands_190728_153040.thumb.png.00acf8f028c7a31af58d991e732150dd.png

If you try this with a stack, it will return the raw form of only 1 of the items and destroy the rest.

I don't think the deconstruct ability is meant to be used for this.

Edited by Indomitus

13 replies to this bug / suggestion

If you're patient enough, this can be used as an Infinite Resources bug.

1 iron makes 10 nails.  Drop 1 nail and deconstruct it, and it returns 1 iron.  10 nails will give you 10 iron.

Do the same with musket balls, and you can get 10 iron and 10 gunpowder each time.  Do it with bullets, you can get 10 iron, 10 copper, and 10 gunpowder.

1 gold ore makes 10 gold pebbles.  Deconstruct a gold pebble and it returns a gold ore.  Infinite Gold.

1 Ylandium dust will deconstruct and return 1 Ylandium crystal (5 dust).  Infinite Ylandium.

Other items that are crafted multiple at a time would probably do the same.

Edited by Indomitus

It still does this for me.  In fact, this bug has been quite handy lately, any time I need large amounts of certain resources.  Have not heard anything from any other players, but I tend to play on my own.

I can confirm that it works with any hammer, by the way.  My preference is the War Hammer, since it has a nice large AOE and can deconstruct large stacks all at once.

24 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

I'll tell the bug team to look into it (so make hay while the sun shines  ?).

No worries.  If I really feel that strongly about my large engineering projects, I can open it in the Editor and drop in a Creator Cube.

Edited by Indomitus
  • Like 1

I'm sure they already have ideas on the cause for this one, but I just want to add that it happens in both local single-player and online multiplayer, in case that affects anything.  I tested it a bit yesterday on P1's NA PVE server.

If anybody on that server needs any Ylandium or gold, by the way, just let me know.  I have loads.  ?

• Haha 1

@Adam Snellgrove

As of Ylands Yncoming, this bug still exists.  I can place 20 nails on the floor inside my barrier and "deconstruct" them to receive 20 iron ingot.  I will test other combinations this weekend, but I think this bug is not yet fixed.

Edited by Indomitus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indomitus said:

@Adam Snellgrove

As of Ylands Yncoming, this bug still exists.  I can place 20 nails on the floor inside my barrier and "deconstruct" them to receive 20 iron ingot.  I will test other combinations this weekend, but I think this bug is not yet fixed.

So we just tried it and all you get when breaking nails in inventory and on   the ground with the hammer is pieces of iron. And you need 10 to make an iron ingot and from 1 iron ingot you get 10 nails. How are you destroying the nails? 

2 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

So we just tried it and all you get when breaking nails in inventory and on   the ground with the hammer is pieces of iron. And you need 10 to make an iron ingot and from 1 iron ingot you get 10 nails. How are you destroying the nails? 

With a swing of a hammer.  In this case, I set it up in a flat map in the editor because I haven't placed a barrier yet in my explore game.  I used the war hammer, which might make a difference, because I did not see that available to craft in explore.  It did give me ingot, though.

I'll try it out some more later today, after work.  We'll see.  Maybe it's mostly fixed.

Okey dokes, so we managed to reproduce this whilst in a protective barrier. We'll look into it and hopefully fix it soon. Thanks for the report ?

Yeah, I confirmed for myself as well just a moment ago.  Any hammer used with any item or resource still behaves this way when "deconstructed" within a protective barrier.

• Thanks 1