bojo2736

Nitrado vs BI Rented Servers 0.15 going to full release

I have used both BI server and Nitrado.   

I was able to upload an exploration map to my BI server.  No problems.  My players can get in.  So good so far. 

Nitrado is another issue.  I have a love/hate relationship with Nitrado.  On the plus side, it's very affordable, pretty easy to set up and use, you can easily set up admins for the server, and probably best of all, they have a mobile app that works on my android phone.   I can also use it with other games.  I have used it with Portal Knights, Medieval Engineers, and Outlaws of the Old West. With all that being said, nitrado is so finicky.  I can't get it out of a restart loop. I suspect it's because they have not updated to the latest software.  There is no way that I have ever found to force that, but it will likely fix it when they reset tonight.  Or maybe not.

I was just looking at the price on the BI servers, it will be 12800 coyns for three months (about $50 US) .  Before the update, it was 5800 for three months or about $30.  That's a bit steep for a server that I can't use for anything else, I can't set up alternate admins and I have to be physically in front of my computer to even do something as simple as a restart. 

The other thing is, neither server has real time support that I have ever had luck with.  Nitrado behaves as if they are doing you a favor to host you, and they can't possibly help with problems you may have.  BI/dev team do awesome support, but they aren't 24/7.  

The BI servers have always run the game beautifully.  Nitrado?  It's hard to tell what is a Nitrado issue or a Ylands issue. I can say that we almost never experience the restart loop with any other game we have hosted on Nitrado.  I am worried that if the BI servers are being hosted at Nitrado are we being thrown to them for their crap support?  Or will the dev team still be available for issues?  Also, and I may have misunderstood this from the dev diary 106, I thought that @Adam Snellgrove said that the BI servers are being migrated to Nitrado.   Does that mean that they ONLY option we will have is the BI Coyn ingame servers?   

I think we need some clarification on private servers.    MP and Exploration are hugely effected by this.  

Edited by bojo2736

The price increase is because we upgraded the server power substantially a s the price may still change, if we find put we overdid it or that even more powerful servers are needed.

And as of support, we'll still provide full support for BI servers. 

In the future (very near future hopefully, end year definitively) you should also be able to get servers directly from Nitrado (not through our Coyn store) if you need more control over your servers and these will be certified by us, so they'll be able to run monetized maps and have the latest updates always installed.

Hope this clarifies some things for you. If anything is unclear, definitely ask, a lot has changed quickly and it can get confusing (even for me ?).

Hello, I want to rent a private Ylands server at BI but I can not find the web page that offers it. Could you give me an internet link ..
thank you

16 minutes ago, leviel said:

Hello, I want to rent a private Ylands server at BI but I can not find the web page that offers it. Could you give me an internet link ..
thank you

You can do so through the in-game shop. After the release we'll also post a link and instructions on how to rent directly from Nitrado (but not possible yet).

Thank you for your responsiveness and congratulations for your game which is really surprising. Good luck for the future.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, leviel said:

Thank you for your responsiveness and congratulations for your game which is really surprising. Good luck for the future.

Thank you for your kind words and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask ?

14 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

In the future (very near future hopefully, end year definitively) you should also be able to get servers directly from Nitrado (not through our Coyn store) if you need more control over your servers and these will be certified by us, so they'll be able to run monetized maps and have the latest updates always installed. 

Personally, I will certainly want that level of control, so I'll be holding out for this option.  In the meantime, I think I will suspend my autopay to Nitrado, since the server's not going to be running.

• Like 1

I still need your help. I managed to hire you a server and I would like to know if I can remove the possibility of doing damage to other players and put the server in pve?

@leviel we found that in the console commands. Hit enter to get into the chat screen, then /cmdlist inside the game.  /setpve and it will show you options

• Thanks 1