Deadeye_Rob

New game Idea: -Towny

Hi guys!

Im a big Minecraft fan (still am!), and one of the most appealing multiplayer game modes I’ve played is a plug-in called Towny.

For those of you who’ve never heard of Towny; let me clue you in.

Towny is a Plug-in to Minecraft Servers that introduces a working economy and encourages players to band together in settlements, towns and eventually cities.

A new player would be granted a small amount of money and released into the world. It is then up to the player to find a town and buy a plot of land, thus becoming  a citizen of that town.

This is where the real work begins! Owning a plot grants the owner protection from griefers and thieves. In return however, the plot owner has to pay taxes (set by the town owner/mayor) every 24hrs.

Taxes are automatically transferred into the town treasury which can be used to expand town boarders. Every 24hrs the server taxes the town directly from its treasury.

As a claim owner, failure to pay taxes will result in immediate loss of control of your claim. In effect, the town repossesses your property. Failure to pay taxes as a whole town will result in the immediate collapse and disbandment of all town holdings and properties. In effect, your town descends in to anarchy as all safeguards from griefing is removed!

In order to build a functioning working town, citizens need to be entrepreneurial in their approach in order to generate money to pay maintain their upkeep. Town mayors need to balance their tax rates to keep their towns paid for without bankrupting its citizens!

As you can tell, it’s a rather complex system but in effect, it’s a very simple plugin.

My personal experience of Towny was great! I enjoyed running an ‘Ingot Bank’ where I would exchange Iron, Gold and Diamond with changing exchange rates including a small fee. My little business was very successful, I was rich enough to buy more plots in my town, with plans to open branches in other towns. I had a blast!

So my final point after rambling is this: Could Ylands replicate this type of plugin? Could a script be written to encourage players to band together in towns to create a working economy? It’s exciting stuff and I would love to see an explore map hosting two island towns connected by a robust trading economy via the sea!

Its a long read so thanks for showing an interest! I’d love to hear your ideas and maybe your pledge to try to make this dream of mine a reality! Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

Here at P1 we are working on a city roleplay which is somewhat similar. On one end we have a team making a Discord bot to do what Ylands can't (loans, jobs, careers), and on the other hand we have people from P1 Creators working on the Ylands end. 

It's part of the reason you see so many screenshots of cities from us. However it is a colossal undertaking it's still going to take a lot of time and a lot of testing and a lot of non-working versions before things come to fruition.