spiritchaser28

Want Ylands to load faster? Here is the solution

Question

I have been playing the game now for over a year. I have logged close to 3000 hours playing. Using both Steam and Microsoft installations. Over the past year I have noticed most of the complaints about the game involves the time it takes to load. Unity is a slow engine, and honestly it takes a lot of time waiting on response time from servers that are far away from the location you are playing.....this is an example of what I mean. Below is a picture of images being loaded from a German nitrado server....you will notice all the images in the cube displaying a "loading" icon image. I had to wait 5 minutes for all the images to load because of my distance to the server. The simple fix to this problem is quite simple. Make the Ylands installation package larger so to include the image files to be stored locally on the  people's computers that play the game. If these simple image files were included in the installation package, it would greatly reduce the amount of actual time a person spends loading the game. Also include the sound effects/weather sound files and music files in the installation packages....I know from experience that including these files in the installation would probably require people a few extra gigabytes of storage space.....however it would greatly reduce the lag created by waiting on servers to download and extract these basic files, therefore making the game a "fast loading game".  On that note....I also understand the need to protect the files from being tampered with and worrying about images and files that are not kid friendly...it may take a little bit more programming to protect the files from being tampered with...but in the long run the ultimate solution for people playing the game, and to increase their enjoyment of the game is to allow the local storage of these files...the game will load faster for every player, there will be no waiting for downloads of image files and sound files....if Bohemia is determined to stick with Unity as it's Ylands Engine....then a larger installation package is necessary for the people playing the game to enjoy it without staring at loading screens for several minutes/hours a day. The bottom line is...if you want people to play the game....then the larger installation would allow people to "Play" the game. 

298610_20201021011439_1.png

Edited by spiritchaser28
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

That all being said...I want you folks at Bohemia to know you invented a fine game, one of the finer games I have played in many years...I am not here to criticize the amount of work, love and sweat you have put into it. I am just an old gamer that grew up in the era that invented the internet. I spent a good portion of my youth writing DOS codes on those big  ol' cassette drive commodore 64s and Texas Instruments/HP computers to help you young'uns make the whole dang  internet thing faster. Smartphones came from us old folks...so  gather round the campfire and listen to us ramble on.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1