Sign in to follow this  
XXon

Game design questions

I made a map in editor and I'm test playing it, thinking of ways to cheat. It's just an island where  you can craft, but you can't dig. Also, there is no healing plant, you need to heal up back home in bed after a hard day of adventuring.

So, if there is a big jump or a tall obstacle, I can place 3 logs and boom I am over it. Is there a way to prevent building/placement?

At zero skill level and for the cost of one rope and a few sticks I can make a wicker bed, so I now make 10. Now, I can "bind" my spawn anywhere I want. When I am hurt, I just die and respawn right there with all my stuff and full health. Endless heals. Is there a way to prevent this? Obviously no crafting, but that takes away a lot of good game play.

You can use custom controls to stop the player from building or sleeping. You can have it assign those custom controls when they leave or enter a certain area (using trigger zones).

20201201041232_1.jpg

20201201041227_1.jpg

• Like 1

Whoa. That's awesome. Worked like a charm and was really easy. Thank you very much!

I think you can disable building using the disable actions tile?

I would need my computer to try it, but i think i saw something for that.

To avoid endless heals, you can trick it by scripting. When player dies it will respawn at spawn point. So, use the event ON respawn and set the hitpoints to like half (or 10 for example). Even they try to cheat by diying to get healed, they will start with 10 HP abd they will be forced to heal by themselves.

Scrap mechanic game uses a system like that: player spawn at bed but with half HP and food bar, making players to eat and drink to restore HP and food)

Edited by jchob