kimbuck

MP explore... might need some ( a lot of ) redefining...

Peter Sellers  said in a movie  "  Join the  navy, Command a ship,  travel to exotic places,  meet people ... then kill them".  That  is  where the  MP explore  seems to be headed.

If your game / island  is  not  deleted by either accident, a rollback or  connection glitch, or act of  something no one  can explain,   you eventually  end up on a map surrounded  by  mp  regions  that seem to  either  not allow you to visit  ( they scared of  griefing)  or  they  "invite"  you in and  change its  status  to  PVP and try to seize  your  ship and   goods. If you have to restart, you have np  barrier to protect your  base.

Even so  i have had  players  enter  when  island was  "no password required"  and tried to  blow  up my base,  me  and  kill anything that moved.

Yup .. there  always will be  these  kid type  feeble  brains  who have  no  imagination  other than kill and  destroy.

In my  game  ( before it was deleted  after a " connection timeout")  i  encountered players with    obviously  throw-away-alt  names    ( such as  qqqaaswdw or  fffgfgfttg or  111221232346666 ...) roaming  around  mp  areas  lookin g for  genuine players to  attack .  the  dont  rob you ...just destroy  everything and  then look for another  victim

So perhaps  as  well as  blue  sp ,  pink  mp    also include  regions with red  to indicate  pvp is  active,    and also   block  pvp  on the other islands.   Then  genuine  explorers   will know   which islands   not to  bother  visiting.

There is talk of   "infinite  islands,  resources  etc"  but  it  is  obviously   not  explained  fully .   Player  soon find them  on islands  that re " unreachable" or     "there are no   more mp islands available"  and often  as i found out,  if  away from your  base island  with its  barrier etc , it  can get deleted ..and you are  back to zero....

The  new  explore  is in the right  direction ... and theres  promise (?) of  it  being better  after  1.6 .        Please  listen to  all the feedback and tweak the  game  accordingly.   Otherwise the   players  you have  won back  might  decide  enough is  enough...

and please  take the time to  fully and simply  explain  what  mp is  etc   ...a lot  are confused  from what we hear  every  day.

I’ve only had two hostile encounters during my time playing the new exploration.

The issues regarding the barrier I hope will be resolved or replaced with a more robust mechanism in the next update. My barrier still remains unplaced and kept in my inventory.

I have not experienced a game-resetting “time out” yet and I hope I never do if I’m honest! :)

Best thing to do to counter troublesome visitors is to build your base on a single player map or make use of the Password protection features. That way, you won’t need to worry too much with placing a barrier.

Someone also reminded me that as a map owner, you have full use of the /cmdlist, including the ability to turn the whole map into PVE (and in extreme cases, ban players).

If you don’t want to resort to admin commands or password protections, my flatline solution would be to build something with enough guns/cannons to make visitors think twice before attacking! :D 

“Speak softly, but carry a big stick!”

My latest ship has  a  forward mounted  cannon and   two side mounted ones....      someone with an obvious  throwaway  name tried to   approach me from the side deliberately avoiding   my  front facing  cannon..... and ignoring my chat

Imagine his   surprise when i opened a side  door and appeared next to  my sidewards facing bumblebee.  :)

I was a lousy  shot    ....Missed by  miles ..but  he   had a  change of  mind and  by the time  he regrouped ,   i had reached the  edge  and  scooted off to another island

Diplomacy ..the  art of   saying  "nice Doggie" whilst looking for a stone to  throw   :)

I avoid  MP islands  with anyone  on them.

I must admit, I do take pleasure from driving off aggressive players.

I still have no issues against that kind of behaviour on the high seas. It is a survival game after all and if players think they can earn a little gold from piracy, so be it. We just have to have the bigger stick.

Ive had two hostile encounters on my travels, I drove off a pirate vessel by firing some gunpowder barrels; striking a direct hit in the process. It didn’t kill the player on board but it crippled their sails allowing me to sail away.

The second was less honourable, I landed on the island of an obvious new player and offered to hand over some resources to get him started. He seemed to be the hesitant sort who didn’t reply much and paused often, so I made sure I had my trusty Bolt-action Rifle in my hot bar.

Sure enough, he drew a corn-gun and aimed it right at my head. I mirrored his actions with my superior firearm and ordered him to lower his weapon. He took a potshot at my head (offering minimal damage).

Not willing to risk another shot like that considering the value of my inventory, I blew him away. Next thing I know I’m ejected from the map!