Linda K Orr

Is iron found in starter island?

Hello, I’m new to this game, and I’m trying to leave the starter island (explorer mode), but I can’t find iron to finish building a boat. Is there iron on the starter island?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Linda K Orr said:

Hello, I’m new to this game, and I’m trying to leave the starter island (explorer mode), but I can’t find iron to finish building a boat. Is there iron on the starter island?

Hey if you are having trouble finding Iron I suggest making a basic small boat. It requires,  15 rope, 25 logs, 5 cloth, 5 poles and any hammer.

One thing they don't teach you in the tutorial which can produce iron on the starting island is taking items back with freeplacing. Hold an item in your hand, press Q then click freeplacing. When you right click an item while freeplacing you are able to get the materials back from an object. Using this method I was able to go around the starter island and recover 50 nails,  several planks,  9 iron ingots, etc. from chests, chairs, tables, benches, ladders and other items. You can also break the iron gates by hitting them several times and you will get pieces of metal. There is also a few other items on the starter like a pot and ladel you can break into metal pieces. Go into your inventory and click an item then click the eyeball on the right side of the screen to examine the item. You have the option to either break the item or destroy it with this method. Hope all this information helps you out. Have fun exploring!

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 2

I’m not sure if this is possible, but I would suggest acquiring all the raw materials required to make a Pigeon Post. That way you can spawn in some NPC merchants to supply you with ingots. 

• Like 1

That's actually a good idea as well......but you do need gold to make the vendor banners....I'm pretty sure there is no gold available on the starter

Edited by spiritchaser28

9 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

gold to make the vendor banners

Ah yes I totally forgot about that 

• Like 1

I can't remember.....there is a chest on starter island that is underwater. If it's a gold chest it may be possible to craft the vendor banners......but I think it's just a sea chest

I suppose you could dig a hole in the ground with the hope that some Old Coins randomly drop. But that’s going to take a lot of commitment!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nikki Severin said:

You also don't need iron to craft a small boat! There is a recipe without any iron required 😊

Well they do need to claim a boat to leave the map....the small boat requiring 15 grass rope, 5 poles, 5 cloths, 25 logs and any hammer will get them off the starter island map easy enough.

@Nikki Severin Maybe there should be a part of the tutorial that teaches people how to scavenge the iron on the starter map. Hold a log, right click a ladder, table chest or chair on the starter map....BOOM iron ingots and nails. It's true they can build a boat without iron but too many people seem to get hung up on the idea they need iron to leave even though that's not the case. I talked to ThePyPse about this and thought it would be a good idea to just include a tutorial about how to make the basic small boat (without iron)

Edited by spiritchaser28