Deadeye_Rob

The Order 1886- The Round Table Chamber

Hi guys!

As some of you are aware, I've been working on a little project a few months ago with the intention of creating my favorite zone from the video game: The Order 1886.

The area is meant to be the interior of Westminster Palace, London, a monument that I'm luck to have visited a few times! The building is absolutely gorgeous and I have worked really hard attempting to bring that into Ylands.

The Order 1886: Roundtable Room by Victariand | Architecture | 3D |  CGSociety20220322205925_1.thumb.jpg.99c5e815c5b2373cd17a2ccf186978a5.jpg

Concept art taken from the game next to my own rendition of the chamber.

I found this project surprisingly enjoyable, I started designing the table itself, using it as a central zeroing point for the rest of the chamber. Never before have I lived true to the words of "Measure twice, Cut once", for the amount of wasted time I avoided double checking every rotational point was infinite!

20220201153452_1.thumb.jpg.1abdd8aac7e614750a6c993bd6279ff7.jpg

With the table complete, work could commence building around it. The floor tiles in particular were troublesome.

At this point, the construction rate vastly increased, as the majority of the designs were repetitive and simply required copy/paste work. Little time was wasted again on rotational reference points but the project went on at a rate that maintained my interest! Before long, I had completed a full 3-tiered viewing gallery surrounding the central chamber area.

20220202153155_1.thumb.jpg.d6211e79120685cacc3dfb964c0afbca.jpg

The main structure of the gallery complete, I could turn my attention to the masonry and windows.

Building the victorian-gothic stonework and cathedral arches gave me great pleasure. I absolutely love how the finished windows look. I used a combination of recoloured bamboo, stone fences, ledges and minus symbols to complete the church-window effects. Once satisfied, it was simply a matter of copy/paste the design and position them around the table evenly. I added some statues on plinths, which I had attempted to personalize with props such as shields, and spears. These statues would form part of the main structure columns, which would ultimately support the roof.

20220203225439_1.thumb.jpg.c6654027d82ae52d0cafcdf0c338f26f.jpg

The statues surrounding the room were decorated with shields, and illuminated with spotlights.

I decided to delay building the roof as I anticipated that it would be the most time consuming task and therefore would risk me abandoning the project from boredom -one of my many weaknesses-. Instead I chose to focus my attention on Arthur's Throne Reliquary. I poured over more concept art and went through many designs before ultimately settling on the one shown in the images. The original concept is exceptionally detailed, with gothic spires and carvings. Whilst the options to render this is exceptionally limited, I think I have reached an acceptable medium between the two!

NZ - The Order: 1886 Fanart20220209151556_1.thumb.jpg.7799055f86d683b57ecc74726f15cff0.jpg

King Arthurs Throne flanked by two candle-stands and emblazoned with his personal herald of 3 crowns over a blue background -May his name be forever resplendent!

After much procrastinating and making little touch ups here and there I finally decided to lock-horns with building the roof! Its design was exceptionally hard and swallowed up more time in its design than the whole project combined! The construction of the roof comprises of a large number of support arches made from bamboo. These arches originate from each supporting column, and loop overhead before concluding at the opposite column. These arches were further divided with lateral supports that created empty roof 'cells'.

These cells were typically a diamond in shape but curved in profile, thus presenting an exceptionally hard challenge to correctly create ceiling panels to fin in them. Most of the work was done completely freehand without any computer-aided placement of any kind! Whilst it does not look like it, no two ceiling tiles are the same in their design! Regardless, I am pleased to have finally conquered this particular stage and I must say, the roof looks incredible!

20220209151512_1.thumb.jpg.01db157cde8ce5d7714b079cf9670c28.jpg

The roof completed, I opted to not decorate it further preferring slight colour alterations to highlight the individual cells.

With the majority of the chamber complete, I decided to work on some little decorations here and there including a few minor scripts. I raised and placed barriers to prevent players from jumping down from the gallery above, restricting their access to the lower levels by stairway only as good ladies & gentlemen should! The scripts woven into the chairs are particularly charming as they enable a player to tuck into the table as soon as they've sat down. I included sound effects of the chair dragging for added effect. I also included some strategically placed light sources to bathe the throne in light as well as fix the time of day to early evening to set the base colour-pallet of the interior. I further introduced a camera logic element to denaturize the colour slightly to create an awe-inspiring feeling of ancient beauty.

The last thing to do was import some unique pictures, and thanks to @Mello1223, this impossible desire became a reality!

20220322205925_1.thumb.jpg.964c6ce928d37153daa029d5b8984ea9.jpg

The chamber is complete! Each archway holds the Coat of Arms of each legendary Arthurian knight including a mural of the fabled King himself.

With thanks to the scripting composition put forward by Mello, I was able to effectively import and 'print' a selection of images in pixel format. With this powerful tool at my disposal, I was able to create and display the Coat of Arms of each Arthurian knight as well as hang a large detailed mural of King Arthur above the entrance to the chamber. I really wanted to put more murals up, but sadly I pushed the game to its absolute limits and experienced what I call entity 'blackout' an occurrence where the game refuses to render the texture and colour of any new objects, so sadly I had to make do with the awesome work that I had!

20220210211441_1.thumb.jpg.7b63695b50d7e08d0ce3d8a11255accc.jpg

Not satisfied with the Chamber, I began building the world outside it's doors!

After visiting Westminster Palace on a number of occasions, I chose to start designing the hallways beyond the council chamber using the same techniques I had acquired earlier. I enjoyed continuing the gothic style and diversifying the statues that adorned every vacant spot where I could cram one in! At this point I decided to work out some sort of purpose and floorplan. I decided that what this build needs is a Library!

20220214213556_1.thumb.jpg.0fb2c6663d0c3c4654db32bd7f6f9aa8.jpg

A custom statue of Britannia, a human personification of the Celtic spirit of Great Britain and her Empires.

The library was simple in its design, yet it required a lot of clever lighting effects to ensure it looked just right. It is my intention to display artefacts from Ylands both common and discontinued, as well as to make the acquisition and reading of its many books easy to do! It is my hope that eventually, a visitor can simply grab a book, pull up a chair, and read to the quiet sound of the fire crackling!

20220322215024_1.thumb.jpg.c66e7328328ee6a6a3668e5dfce0e091.jpg20220322214959_1.thumb.jpg.0bfc48ec27ea9156f0cf92144b60542a.jpg

Alternating views of the Library, of the central light, only the main streetlamp portion is connected, the surrounding bulbs have been colour-changed to prevent over saturation of light.

So i suppose you might ask 'What's Next?'. To be honest, I have no idea! I have ran out of steam developing this further for now but I hope to find some drive between the demands of my private life in order to get back in to finishing this project. I have done a lot of reading into the Crystal Palace Exhibition and I would like to incorporate elements of that into this project. For those of you who are already aware, I have decided to donate this project to be used by the Ylands team for any future live-streams or Q&A sessions. Hell, I'd love to see this place as the new Playlands lobby! 😉.

For now I however, I must say that I have really enjoyed building this. I feel that I have truly pushed the boundaries of the Editor on this one and from the feedback that I have received, I have created something that doesn't look like a conventional Ylands map at all! I look forward to your feedback and comments! Thanks again guys, this was truly a pleasure to undertake!

Rob

Edited by Deadeye_Rob
  • Like 6
  • Fire 3

Hi. awesome work as always! and I'm glad my composition was useful, but in order for to state things as it should be, Oliver first helped me with the pixel script, and then I found out that the Naru the Human had a similar composition, so I asked for his help, without him he would it didn't work properly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is so amazing I don't even know what to say. And seeing the community cooperation on some aspects of this makes me even happier. 

Thank you guys so much for producing such beautiful pieces! 

Thank you @Deadeye_Rob for the wonderful build!

22 hours ago, Nikki Severin said:

Thank you @Deadeye_Rob for the wonderful build!

You’re very welcome! I had an absolute blast building this project. The key points I learned from this project was the importance of environment lighting and effects. Something I didn’t apply totally in my Fortress Library submission.

By simply applying a little desaturation, the mood is completely changed!

• Like 2