furrwizzer

Anyone else with a shark problem?

8 hours ago, Eriugam said:

Hi all,

Is anyone having issues with sharks not moving from beaches?

I have built a base near sand and the sharks are congregated in the water and won't move.

@Eriugam ...yes!  They will  watch me  while i am  building  on the  shoreline ...sometimes  3 of them! What you can do  is lure them in closer, then use  dirt deposited around and behind them to trap them ... build a dirt bridge out to them  then get a spear and  slaughter them one at a time and collect the  fish meat :D

I have  my base built on the shoreline  with a two level pier stretching out to navigable waters. I had to place a land  barricade  around the  area where  my bed is  because they would  come in close to the shoreline and try to get under my  room and interrupt  my  beauty sleep:$

The seem to be attracted  as soon as you lay the keel of a ship,  and  when you are on a ship and release the  controls to look at your  map or  feed.

I have  built a marble "curtain" around the stern of  my ship ..with horizontal  projections ..it  seems to be keeping them  away, and the  projections   might make the ship  clumsy looking   but at sea level they assist  in  exiting/boarding    your ship when exploring  other islands.

I missed out the opportunity to take a funny pic of  5 sharks lined  on the shore watching me ...  it looked like i was conducting a  " shark chorus line "xD

The  S.S Ridiculous  seems to be a success.  As clumsy and  slow as it is, the  additional walkway at the waterline around the stern  keeps sharks (it  seems)  from  climbing  aboard    underneath the  deck.

The sharks  still attack, but  they   are kept at a safe  distance  from your  rear end xD

Now  all i have to  do is  reverse the  ship  up to a pier etc and then  spear the   shark from the safety of  dry land.

Once  one shark  becomes  airborne like this   it seems to  infect   other sharks in the area  and see them floating on the surface adjacent  to  or on the beaches  where they lurk.

so fellow  seafarers,  if you construct a  waterline  horizontal   barrier around the stern of your ship , it  seems it  can reduce the incident of  sharks  trying to get on board without  buying a  ticketB|

20171023133835_1.jpg

actually,  you can see another "air-shark"  in the background...altogether i   located  5  of them either o  on the  surface, or  suffering   from gas and  floating   just above the water

S.S. Ridiculous made it  home safely  after a grand  tour, and  was docked with   4  sharks  sticking out of   its  superstructure. I discovered  not to  kill off the  stuck sharks in inhospitable  areas or at sea, because as soon as the shark "dies", the corpse assumes weight and   overbalances your  ship.  You then cannot  move the ship until either the corpse disappears after a day, or you  gut it...which is  dangerous  as the ship will right itself and  there's the possibility you will get  tossed   into  the ocean amidst  other  sharks waiting  for a  snack.

Even so,  after  ridding the hull of the sharks i  brought  home my ship ended up in a funny angle in the  dock as it righted itself after each corpse removal, and  the   local sharks  turned  up en masse to seek revenge!

So the    walkway at waterline  around  the ship does work...  in a  fashion. Sharks  will get stuck on it  or  in it, but they  don't seem to be able to  get onto the  deck and  maul  you.

Now  when  building your ship, make  sure the   helm is  not close to the  stern, and  any sleeping equipment is placed   on the  ships center and  ahead of the  helm. Also  build a  horizontal  waterline   walkway  around the  stern so the  sharks  cannot get too close to you.

I might  experiment with  outward facing metal  spikes  on the stern walkway ...  and modify the  ships  bow  with  some sort of  walkway ...like a landing  craft.

The worry is that when the shark dies, it suddenly de-stabilizes  your  ship   until you remove it .. and your  ship  cannot  move  until  its removed!

The  sharks get stuck  on your  ship ...   and  it would be a  solution to the issue  if they did not do this.  I have had them  try to attack me on the shoreline  and  beaching themselves.  You end up  with all these sharks "floating"  above the  water around   your  Yland.

It sure  makes the  game a   challenge!:S

Success!  Shark barrier worked!  Fitted a barrier of horizontal iron spikes to stern of ship,  and went for a  short trip. Friendly  sharks  soon  rushed to greet me xD ...as soon as i released  the ships  controls and  looked at  my map ..i heard a "thud" //turned around to see an upturned shark drifting  in my wake ...B|   Decide to have a snack and  another  2  sharks  came in  behind my ship ..  another  thud  and one ended up  upside down and  drifting away ...the other  shark lost interest!

This  screenshot is of the stern of the  S.S,  Ridiculous  with some   more  spikes added  for   extra security  B|

20171024150257_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hehe awesome, finally nailed it :D I'm curious to see how this would work/look on ship that hasn't been built to withstand sharks, maybe it fixes the problem completely :D 

• Upvote 1

Sharks finally get the point!

Fitted a few extra spikes to the stern, and some facing  to the sides. Did not  take long for the  sharks to try their  luck ... 4  moved in ...  2 were spotted  upside  down  drifting away in  my wake . the other 2  declined the offer to try to  get on board.

Sailed in a loop and   during map consultations and  snack  could hear  shark noises.. but investigation  revealed they were  milling around behind the ship    and after an inspection,   swam away.

Ship   feels  safer  now B|  Fitting a couple of  braziers   to keep warm ... ran into a  ocean blizzard and  nearly  froze!

20171026113458_1.jpg

S.S Ridiculous survives 3  attacks  by  multiple sharks...pictures say it  all:D

20171026142304_1.jpg

20171026142311_1.jpg

20171026142324_1.jpg

On 22/10/2017 at 10:14 PM, kimbuck said:

@Eriugam ...yes!  They will  watch me  while i am  building  on the  shoreline ...sometimes  3 of them! What you can do  is lure them in closer, then use  dirt deposited around and behind them to trap them ... build a dirt bridge out to them  then get a spear and  slaughter them one at a time and collect the  fish meat :D

I have  my base built on the shoreline  with a two level pier stretching out to navigable waters. I had to place a land  barricade  around the  area where  my bed is  because they would  come in close to the shoreline and try to get under my  room and interrupt  my  beauty sleep:$

The seem to be attracted  as soon as you lay the keel of a ship,  and  when you are on a ship and release the  controls to look at your  map or  feed.

I have  built a marble "curtain" around the stern of  my ship ..with horizontal  projections ..it  seems to be keeping them  away, and the  projections   might make the ship  clumsy looking   but at sea level they assist  in  exiting/boarding    your ship when exploring  other islands.

I missed out the opportunity to take a funny pic of  5 sharks lined  on the shore watching me ...  it looked like i was conducting a  " shark chorus line "xD

@kimbuck Thanks for the tips, think I'll stay in-land for the time being!

Well...  guess the  iron spikes around the  stern of the hull are useless when they can fly! ..also another one  came up  from underneath  and tried to eat  my feet  through the  deck ....  O.o

20171107170059_1.jpg