furrwizzer

Anyone else with a shark problem?

Both on the standalone and on the steam version I keep having what I call shark problems.  Not only do they get stuck on my boat (great when I can use them as a make shift compass) but I've found a few on land now. 

2017-10-07 (1).png

Those sharks  can be a nuisance! The seem to be able to pass through the floorboards/deck of your ship to try and make a meal of you. I built a glass cage around the helm area to  stop them  it  kind of worked,  but they came  up through the wooden floor!  But i notice they will not  pass through stone panels. I am currently  building a ship with the helm further forward..so the  sharks  cannot  get me from behind ...and  i have enclosed the stern in glass windows with a roof..and lined the  deck with  stone paneling.

Will be  testing it today  to see if it  works.

Hmm land sharks?   musty have  been put there by a  sharknado,  a  new weather system :-)

I get the sharks  following me  around the  shoreline.... and  when collecting  sand for  glass they will almost  beach themselves .... sometimes  5  are waiting.  Usually   you  might  find a  predator  lurking nearby  waiting to attack and   force  you into the water.

For  fun, try depositing  dirt under the  watching  sharks, and when they are "up in the air" and stranded ... build a dirt bridge to them and   spear them  to death  :-).  Makes an amusing  scene :-)

ok  took  the  s.s. sharknado   for a spin around the island....   had a couple try to get on board  but they apparently  do not like  some panels and flooring! They  followed the ship,  and  would try an attack whenever i released the  controls to  snack.  When  moored afterwards there were  4  sharks  under the pier and ship  making  noises. in the last picture ..note the beached  sharks  that were trying to  molest me when i was gathering  sand.

As you can see i moved the  helm forward so its not  close to the area the  sharks  usually  attack from .. and the floor area and  side panels  are stone and  glass..  theres also a "stone" curtain across the stern  just above  water level.

seems to  have thwarted them  ..will find out on a  longer  journey later today

20171009082155_1.jpg

20171009083146_1.jpg

20171009082007_1.jpg

LOL @ SS sharknado :D 

I think it's quite weird that some people never have this problem but others have it constantly, how could this be? Both on survival/creative this never happens to me or my mate.

they seem to attack whenever you release controls to eat ...and if you are carrying  food such as meat slices, they must smell it and  go into a  frenzy!  I am in explore mode...  i use  my ship to  gather resources  form other islands, thats  why  all the  storage  boxes around the  front... 

Somehow  i think  these  sharks  are  just a fun thing  for the  developers :-) ..its their  quirky sense of  humor  ;-0

Its  also possible the  sharks  dont like  my  dress code  ;-0

• Upvote 1

disaster!  s s Sharknado  drifting aimlessly  without  captain,  victim of  multiple shark attack through floor of  ship.  Captains corpse last seen sinking in  open seas to titanic  depths.  Anyone  finding an  abandoned ship laden with ores and weapons... please return to me !!  hahah..

oh  well      another start... ;-)  At east i managed to get that  bear that tried to  climb aboard my ship earlier.  yes  an  amphibious and   tried to scramble  aboard  bear attack ...it  was lurking in the water..( probably  wearing   bear scuba  apparatus ) and   tried to scramble aboard  as i was moving into the shore. it  pays to have a spear  positioned near your  mast  where you can grab it easily

• Upvote 1

First sharks, now the bears are attacking out of their elements.  What next.. Air bombing Hyenas? Carnivorous Horses?  These stories and more can be read at the Ylands Yakker, on sale now.

Also dangerous rabbits!  got a  message "too dangerous to sleep here"  and found a rabbit   hiding inside my dwelling.

Regarding sharks, constructing a new  ship  with the  helm  elevated  above the deck  and  see if the  sharks   can fly!  The last ones came in through a  gap in the stone deck ...there were 4 of them...  poor  captain had no chance.  International rescue  tried to retrieve the  s  s  sharknado  on a raft, and after paddling around in freezing conditions.. spotted the  ships lights  in the  distance ...but   it to perished under the weight of a shark attack. 

Also  a warning.. when having a snack on your  ship, stand well back  from the helm ...least you run out of snacks and accidentally   punch the helm and  destroy it!   and have  no resources on board to replace it!

And it can be  embarrassing  when fighting off sharks with a spear   you miss ..and  destroy your  ship from underneath you.

We were told to watch the birds at sea ....ummm  will the be soon  equipped with  bombs or  torpedoes?  :-)  I better not give the developers  ideas!

• Upvote 1

Control tower  to all   craft in the  vicinity .... a   shark has overshot the runway and  crash landed.

Its   advisable to all ylanders  with   residences  adjacent to the  sea to keep  all windows  closed, and be  alert.

If  using  a latrine... it  might  pay to check under the seat  before   using... you  just  dont know  where these sharks  will emerge  from next!

:-)

Requesting   that the  developers   investigate  the possibility  of  ylanders being given the ability  to  craft   shark proof umbrellas...

20171016172952_1.jpg

20171016173038_1.jpg

Good news, people! We managed to find a fix for those mischiveous sharks, the fix is already done and is being tested right now. If all goes well, it will be out in a day or two. Thanks a lot for your reports!

We found a workaround for the sharks-jumping-aboard problem, until we find a more permanent solution. You should not see any more sharks on your boats after we release the patch.

Hooray!  will not  need aloe  vera bandages  anymore to  put on the  shark  bite  marks on our  backsides:D

looking forward  to the deployment of that patch...

Saw my first  shark in this new game ...but as you saw, it was stuck in the side of a hill.

I constructed  my dock in a  nice  safe friendly bay... and was even wandering around in the water to ensure the  building blocks  aligned properly.  Not a shark in sight!

So  started  on the construction of  the  S.S  Ridiculous ...i   crafted the keel , scrambled aboard to  deploy the  anchor  to  stop it  floating  away  and  next  thing  i heard the  dreaded  gloph  gloph  sound .. yup a shark   was now lurking between  me and the  dock!

Fortunately  i had some logs in my inventory and  constructed a temporary  bridge to get ashore without  losing a toe  or  two. came  back with more wood to construct the front and  aft ..and this  ship hull was literally  surrounded by   sharks!   - one at the stern ( pictured)  tasting the  stone  walkway ,and the other  two at the front  one near the ladder and the other   under the  bow.

Either i am using the  wrong  deodorant..or the  wood i am harvesting  contains pieces of  shark- magnet:D 

20171017101825_1.jpg

Preparing to test the new  patch for  sharks that like to  climb aboard  boats.  The  new  boat  is  75% complete, but as you can see ..we already have  testers  waiting...!  O.o

20171018105343_1.jpg

It  looks  like  some  sharks  have  not  read the changelog or  forums ..and persist in hitchhiking.  It happens   when you release the controls to  snack  ..or  read your map.

One shark  made it onto the front  deck,  but   wriggled off before i could take a screenshot ... the other 2  i manage to spear  and kill before they  got me, but the corpse   nearly overturned the  ship.

During  my   trip, there  were at least  3   sharks    circling under the   hull  whenever i  tried to  snack...or  read the map.

We  need   harpoons  :D

20171018165328_1.jpg

20171018165210_1.jpg

20171018165538_1.jpg

Hm, it seems we fixed only some of the circumstances where this happens (our QA wasn't able to reproduce it anymore with the fix applied). Unfortunately, this can happen when, as stated in the changelog, the fix is actually more of a temporary hack applied before a solid, proper solution is introduced (and that takes time since this issue is actually a bit tricky to solve). Nevertheless - thanks for the report. We'll keep looking into that, let you know how we proceed and get rid of that shark menace as soon as possible! :) 

didn't  take a  screenshot  but  saw a  couple of them  hovering about a meter   above the waterline near  the shore.

I appreciate  that its a  difficult   one to  solve  ...removing  bugs like  this is like   removing a   lump under a newly laid  carpet....flatten  one and another pops  up nearby B|

You could  try  draining the oceans  and then we could  hunt them  down  on horseback xD

• Upvote 1

Yes, thank you for anything you can do to deal with this.  I'm currently looking for a source of "Bat Shark Repellent" but the last can was seen in 1966.

• Upvote 1

Maybe we could drop  potato grenades  or  dynamite overboard  wrapped in shark bait?

It seems that wood is the material the  sharks  can penetrate easily .. they came in through the  side wood panels  of  my ship  ..and  one tried over the bow...which was wood and not coated with another material..... ???o.O

My ships are generally entirely made out of stone and the sharks still manage to climb 5 stories high in them so in my experience, the building material has nothing to do with shark attacks

• Upvote 1

S.S  Ridiculous  made its  maiden voyage ..still needs  finishing  but appears to be  successful .. ( touch wood!)

Was trailed by at least  6  sharks  and  despite their  threatening  noises...non  tried to come aboard.

Only  issue was i got  caught in an  uncharted shoal  and  got stuck and  spent a  couple of  hours  digging the ship out and  spearing  sharks  who  knew i was in the water  and   came form every direction...    Nevertheless  i had a good supply of  shark meat to  feed on:P

got some  more cosmetic  -  and  mod-   work to  do on the ship

20171021085606_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

Is anyone having issues with sharks not moving from beaches?

I have built a base near sand and the sharks are congregated in the water and won't move.

Had one hitchhiker yesterday, but he came loose a minute later.  

@eriiugam The sharks know where you are,  They seem to be drawn to the smell of pixel people.

2017-10-21 (2).png

• Upvote 1