rihapat

Dev Diary #277 The Cost of Progress? Lower than Before!

Ahoy Ylanders

The grind is hard. That's the truth and every gamer knows it. Is grinding rewarding? Yea, maybe. Is that really what we want, tho? I doubt that. Nikki doubted that, Anna doubted that, and after the community have been doubting it for a while, everyone else in the office started to doubt it too! Eventually it became undoubtable that we will reduce the amounts of Exploration Points and Resource Packages needed to unlock next regions.

I am happy to say that these changes are live already and it is thanks to you Adventurers! If it weren't for Ylands community grinding the feedback so hard, well, let's just say thank you! Your input is the main thing that helps us grow. Now, let's look into some details!

DD_277_Steam_1920x1080_02_.jpg

Exploration Points

Easy sleazy explory pointy decreasy by almost two thirdsy! Yea, that's all there is to reveal. Easy as that. Here are the exact numbers of Exploration Points that you need to unlock each region.

Arid - 40 EP (used to be 100)

Far East - 100 EP (used to be 250)

Temperate - 250 (used to be 750)

Tundra & Taiga - 500 (used to be 1500)

Arctic - 850 (used to be 2500)

This change is especially important for every adventurer that likes to progress together with their Classy Adventurer's Guild friends. You can earn most of the EP together by finishing the same diary tasks and exploring random encounters!

Resource Packages

If you are more of a gatherer than an explorer these changes are meant for you. Here are the exact numbers of Resource Packages that you need to unlock each region.

Arid
2x Stone chunk package
2x Logs package

Far East
2x Leather package
2x Sandstone chunk package
2x Clay package

Temperate
4x Leather package
2x Magic dust package
4x Iron package

Tundra & Taiga
4x Leather package
4x Coal package
6x Sulphur package

Arctic
6x Leather package
4x Copper package
4x Zirconium package

Oh, I almost forgot! On Mobile you need only 50% of all Resource Packages and EP.

The outcome of these changes could potentially allow the fastest players to unlock Arid already 1 or 2 hours in game, but hey, I don't want to underestimate anyone! On the other hand, the estimates towards the Arctic unlock-time are quite a mystery, so I am genuinely thrilled to see the first speedrun!

I hope you will like the changes as I am a big fan. Also, please keep sending your great feedback and ideas, our Discord #suggestions_and_ideas is the best room for that: https://discord.com/invite/ylands

Thank You and Stay Classy Adventurers!

- Patrik

• Like 6

Aren't you worried that less people will buy the game which means less income for you all? Or does it not work like that?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yo HasLEGO said:

Aren't you worried that less people will buy the game which means less income for you all? Or does it not work like that?

There needs to be a balance between being fun and challenging. If it's too difficult then it could also turn new players away who don't want to pay as well as any of their friends/family that they might have recommended the game to. If it's too easy then no one will pay for the game. They need to find the happy in-between and it seems they were receiving lots of feedback saying it was too grindy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, handofthesly said:

There needs to be a balance between being fun and challenging. If it's too difficult then it could also turn new players away who don't want to pay as well as any of their friends/family that they might have recommended the game to. If it's too easy then no one will pay for the game. They need to find the happy in-between and it seems they were receiving lots of feedback saying it was too grindy. 

Exactly, plus we plan to add lot more player customization to buy so that should be the main focus :)

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the question! It is quite complicated subject, and this is only my personal statement and view as one of the marketers. You can be sure that designers will hold different point of view and could potentially offer you completely different explanation. :D 

1 hour ago, Yo HasLEGO said:

Yes and no. We don't expect the majority of players to spend any money in the game, that's the deal and it is fine. Still, having a lot of people playing is dealbreaker as we can get more feedback and in-game data to grow the game for better on some solid foundations.

The balance that handofthesly is mentioning is exactly what we need, and this change should be in the right direction as it still should mean for casual player to play for at least several tens of hours in order to reach Arctic. That being said we have barely any data to support the guess. Also, there is so much to do instead of going straight for the progress, so playstyle of specific player is also changing that a lot.

Good thing is that the wide range of playstyles among Ylands players also support that someone might be interested in the DLC more than someone else, an abstract change of the amount of grind probably shouldn't be a game changer here. On the other hand, people unlocking Arid fast can help new players to stay motivated, explore some more and hopefully come back for another game session. I mean, we will see about that. 😅

Hopefully, I managed to show you some angles of thinking behind this change. Just know that it is always a bit of educated guess and reacting to the received feedback and then evaluating it retrospectively and adjusting if needed. :) 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2