Sign in to follow this  
CoolPrius

DEV ANSWER Scale?

Question

First off love the new Ships update but I want to address something that has been kinda bothering me since day one. The scaling in the game feels a bit crazy. What I mean by that is I feel like either the islands are way too small or the players are way too big. A big aspect of adventuring is kind of gone for me when the entire island can be traversed in under a minute and can be entirely seen from some angles on the island. When I play survival/exploration games I love to feel like I dont know whats ahead or whats going to happen. With the islands being so small its very easy to just land on an island and know you're instantly safe because you already know where everything is because from the boat ride in you can see everything. I also think the big ships update made the situation a little bit more noticeable too because now the ships are about 1/100th the size of the biggest island. Maybe this was intentional and Im missing the purpose of the game but from my perspective it just feels off. I just believe that a huge part to any exploration game is the ability to be able to explore through all kinds of different biomes and continents throughout several days of walking on a map as opposed to  sprinting between the coastlines and maybe having a slight shift in biomes. I have been neglecting to post about this on here because I feel as if its something that cant really be fixed which would be really unfortunate. If it is fixable than I would love to see some type of like procedural generated map for the "Explore" gamemode. Also this is a very extra thing but it'd be awesome to see some kind of railway system later in the game. Maybe with engines powered by the electricity in the game. 

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Yes, you are right - we too are aware that there should be even way bigger ylands in the game than the ones you can currently visit. You may be pleased to hear that we are already working on it. Plus, over the course of the next three months we plan to release some new features and improvements that someone who likes to explore will definitely like a lot, with the first one being available sometime in late January. Some of these plans we will unveil before the end of this year in a special post.

• Upvote 1

That sounds awesome and Im extremely happy to hear that. Thanks guys for your incredible work!