WijkagentAdrie

LOD/Render distance problems

Question

The distances at which objects won't be rendered anymore or are rendered at a lower Level of Detail differ greatly depending on the block type. Because of this the rendering of ships or buildings at larger distances get really ugly: For example all the slopes and windows on my boat won't render, first you only see the normal cube blocks, stairs and railings. When getting closer the rest of the boat will render as well. 

Steps to reproduce:

1. Build a ship or house, using a large variety of blocks and block types.

2. Move away from the ship whilst keeping an eye on it.

Severity: Minor - It's unpleasing to look at things from a distance, could get more troublesome when Multiplayer and ship PVP becomes a thing.

Repeatable: Always

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

I've found a new weird LOD problem today: The lowest LOD model for the large window is the smallest window. This looks rather weird at a distance:

Ylands_170801_190540.thumb.png.7b854f0c12159df06b60a4d7bef0e4b7.pngYlands_170801_190543.thumb.png.5c60d188136a1399cd1afd675ad5d6dc.png

This problem is still present.  It appears the target of early/aggressive LOD-ing are the 1x1 blocks.  They are the ones that completely vanish at even a modest distance, where as 1x2 blocks (e.g. elongated triangle) continue to render normally.

So far this just seems to be an issue with 1x1 blocks that are considered to be "attached" to the boat.  If you place a 1x1 block off by itself on the terrain it won't vanish any earlier than the other larger blocks near it (which is the preferable behavior).

I am wondering how people are getting around this issue in their boat builds - have they've just been taking close-up screenshots to avoid showing it, or avoiding the usage of 1x1 blocks in their designs?  Or is there another workaround?

I need to correct what I said above.  While the LOD issue does occur with 1x1 *wood blocks*, it is not the same for other blocks.  Which blocks cease rendering at short distances seems to vary based on the type and material. 

For example, 1x1 bamboo ramp (triangle) blocks are visible much further than many of the other triangle blocks made from other materials (wood, stone, etc.).  And yet other bamboo blocks vanish from view much sooner than the 1x1 bamboo ramp.

We really need consistency with these blocks, and none of them should stop rendering at distances where the absence will be obvious.  Keep in mind that a player may create significant portions of a structure out of smaller blocks, and when they cease rendering entire sections of a build can disappear.

Agreed, while this is just a visual issue and not game-breaking, it certainly ruins immersion in a game focused on player creations when said creations start to break up visually from a short distance away in an inconsistent manner.  Can we get a comment from the dev team on whether this is intentional or indeed a bug?

I've noticed this also appears on structures that are not part of a boat/ship, however the difference seems to be that after a brief period of time the smaller individual blocks making up an object will eventually stop vanishing at short distances (I'm assuming they are being rendered as a group beyond that point rather than as individual blocks for performance reasons).  However, blocks that are part of a boat/ship never seem to gain these benefits.

This is still a problem. 

My ship breaks up visibly while I'm sailing, and it really ruins immersion in an amazing game like this.