Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

Patience, little grasshoppers............

I know the  Devs   can speak for themselves, but  may i add my understanding of Ylands.

Firstly  is  in early  access ... so  still being  readied for a  full release.  During  Alpha we have had  fun , and encountered bugs,  many of  which  have  been fixed, and  many more to be fixed.

Secondly, the   game is still being modified/improved/enhanced ...and   there's bug's  but unless the  devs  know about them, only  then can they be attended to.   Bug  reports are essential.

Thirdly,  do not expect the game to be like  others  that have  been running  for  several years. This is a new  game  and although similar in concept to other survival  type  games i understand the  devs want  it to be different  and  not the same as the  other   'run-of-the-mill ' type games.

Fourthly .. there is a roadmap of  how they intend to expand the  game ...its  not a  finite game,  as they are looking into ways etc to add more  

Five ...  Now the games  is open to all to buy and  join, expect a rush of  new  players,  flooding the system expecting  it to be  like   similar games . there will be griefers,  those who want to  kill everyone,  and those who will always  demand  more for m the game to suit themselves.

I have been  here since September...a relative  "new grasshopper" compared to some of the others who have been posting positive and helpful information  to   assist new arrivals and show  what the  game is cap[able of ...and also  assisting the  devs to  iron out  wrinkles.

If  you want something "now" .. understand  that there's limitations  as to resources ,  software,  hours in a day,   and   it  might be  helpful to look back at some of the early posts and  news  items  to  gain some  insight.

Lastly,  they say if   you cannot get it to work ... try  reading the instructionsB|

Enjoy your  time  here ... least now  when  sailing  you don't  get sharks  jumping  into your bed while you sleep! :D

• Upvote 1

I have spent 3 real days    building and consolidating my base etc...   I have resisted the temptation to  "rush ahead" technologically.

Why?  Well Yland  is a game of  survival,  and  exploration,   hunting and foraging,  building and  crafting.  Its not  "my Little pony's  tea party":D

I found an area within sight of my spawn point that is suitable for a base.  I foraged  for  food,  noted where the  predators lurked and proceeded to gather resources and start  crafting essentials, ie  a knife, flint lighter, spear for defense,  and axe and a wooden  shovel.  I gathered  corn and  flax and planted  them nearby   ..same with  seeds  from trees i harvested.

My base was at the  bottom of a small  cliff adjacent to the ocean ..i flattened it out  just above sea level, and  back to the cliff,  and used  it as the back of  my refuge.  I then collected logs and made a roof to shelter under and  enclosed the  sides, leaving a gap to enter /exit  and  to place  fires near to  discourage  wolves.

All this took time. Then i  explored...  avoiding  conflicts  and  gathering    food and  flax etc  and collecting  artifacts. A Warning.. there are usually  predators  near such items.

I have now reached the stage where i have a  stone fortress,  and  a crafting area  and  a storage area.....  its  partly open to the ocean but has gates to discourage  land based predators. I have mapped the  entire island and noted  resource  placement

There's  plantations  nearby supplying  food and  flax  and the tree seeds  have now started to mature into a forest for  future  wood needs. I have  harvested  sand  around the  sea  shore to  make a pathway  where i can re locate  my base if i get caught in a storm  and  the glass used to make the  necessary items  for  future advancement.

So after 3 days  ,..what have i achieved?   well a secure base,  I know there's abundant   iron, coal and  saltpeter,  clay   and   also the possible location of a cave..but  no opening,  however i found 2   gunpowder kegs ,  which could be used  for " instant  mining":D

But there's no  copper or  sulphur  or   rubber...  so exploration is needed.

And that's where i am up to ... abundant   flax plantation  for  sails,   trees  for   masts etc  and  food    to survive ...and  weapons ... 3  crossbows  with  close to 250  bolts,  and   of  course  sabers and swords. I  have  found  a shotgun and flintlock  rifle , but  limited ammunition for the rifle.

So..  today to  ship  build ,  tomorrow   conquer the world!

Whys did i post this?  to show that if  you try and  hurry  you will become  frustrated.  I have only  "died" once  after  i encountered a bear and a puma  side by side,  but  respawned  in sight of my base  where i could  re-arm and recover my  goods.¬¬

I have  manually  copied  my  map   and  marked on it  the directions of  migrating birds ...possibly   5  islands  very close by,  and with the floating  shark  issue  apparently  resolved i need not make a  heavily   reinforced boat. 

So patience, grasshoppers... spend time  preparing before venturing out  boldly...

Softlee  softlee....catchee monkeey!:D

I think some may buy EA games expecting it to be like a final release maybe not understanding it is still a work in progress. The game will continue to get better as time goes on, however I must say I am enjoying it a lot ...bugs and all. Even the bugs can sometimes be funny and if all else fails you can restart so not a biggie. So I have to agree with the sentiment to be patient OP.