Sign in to follow this  
lmcvann

RESOLVED Starve to death when logged out

Question

Hi,  due to no dedicated server we bought another copy and host on my second PC with a new steam account so the game is always open.  The host will always starve and die but this is ok as its just for hosting the game.

The issue is that my character when i log out on my playing account will still be dead each time i come back from starvation.  My brothers character remains alive and ok as does our friends character.

I am using the same network but a different pc and different account to the hosted game so this shouldnt happen#

any ideas?

thanks

• Upvote 1

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Sounds like a possible desynch issue between the client/server.  Client logs out and sends the "logoff" command to the server, but the packet is lost or ignored(dropped) due to latency or other Internet issue, so the client's character stays in-game, and hence starves.

If this is the case, a good solution would be for the server to start polling idle clients for ACK response every 10 seconds, after a client fails to send new data to the server past a certain "time-out" period (like a minute).  After enough failures (3 or so), it'll automatically log off the client due to inactivity or non-response.

This could also be used to help isolate AFK'ers as well.  Get no new imput from client, send ACK's, but get them back, but after X number of successful ACK's, but no new data from client input, boot the idle client (freeing up server resources).

Network overhead is kept minimal when polling is done once every few seconds, and only after a certain idle trigger is flipped.

Edited by Ethan Gordon Wilson