ComR

Memory problem?

Question

Hi,

Last time I started Ylands again, but this time I'm making copies of each savegame and I'm constantly trying to check Ylands system resources consuming. For some reason game starts using around ~4.5GB of RAM, 4 days later (around 6-8 hours of play every day) Ylands is using ~5.6GB of RAM and it's still growing. It seems that every 6-8 hours takes additional 400MB of RAM. I have 8GB of ram, so I can imagine that (as it was many times before), game will stop working within 3-4 days... Also, every day savegame is 5MB bigger (now it's 20MB). I guess game is constantly using this file to save world and read from it, so it's probably loaded into RAM? .... my older HDs were not capable of seamless work with this system, I guess maybe buffering could change something? Defragmentation changes nothing (well, probably it is, but it's toless to see difference in Ylands). SSD seems to work just ok... Pity, because I've got one and small SSD used for system only - Ylands is a evenement here... :)

All The Best,

Bartosz

6 replies to this bug / suggestion

2 hours ago, ComR said:

I guess game is constantly using this file to save world and read from it, so it's probably loaded into RAM?

I think you mentioned this once before as a bug...? When I run windows monitor to view on a second screen while playing Ylands, I get very little HD read/write action at all and it literally never reaches 100% while playing (I reserve my SSD for boot and windows only, with a few exceptions). The only thing that has ever peaked for me while playing Ylands was my CPU.

Ref Ylands file size. I only have one single player .ylandsgame save file currently (deleted older saves) and it's only 5,793kb. However I have also only visited the starter island. I'm guessing that the details of islands are not saved to the session file until revealed through proximity and that a larger starting island would result in a larger save. In my sample, I'm guessing that a single file with one exposed island being 6mb could reach 20mb after additional islands were found. I have a scenario map that I've been working on, it is a dual island with each island being about twice the size of a typical "Explore" 4.5m (I measure island size by how long it takes to fly around it using prop pack with 4.5m being 4.5 minutes for a standard starter island) so with two side by side islands at 8m each, that unexplored save file is 17mb.

The screenshot below shows disk usage. The peak you see to the left of the graph is loading (and generating) a new Explore world. Once the world is loaded, disk usage drops a lot (this is a gaming laptop btw). During game play, assuming Ylands is the only thing running, HD use varies from between 0% - 1%.

eCGCaYHxSO_078uy3LvJnQ.png

Can you post your .ylandsgame test file? I want to see if your save game is triggering the constant (peaking?) HD state that yours is on your PC.

Edited by Whane The Whip

Hi,

Thanks for fast response. I see one difference here - I've got only 8GB of RAM and Ylands logs shows constant memory clearing for more room. Maybe if I had 16GB Ylands would work faster, becouse there would be no need for constant clearing and loading data?

I realised that game spikes only when data is loaded into memory - for example when I move to location further away. So, I'm guessing data is loaded from HD. BTW. Good idea, I will start Ylands and see if HD is in use.

By test file, do you mean savegame with problems? 

And... if we are talking about performance: after I moved Ylands to SSD game is running in almost constant 60FPS (which is unbelievable! - and it's some king of glitch, because game FPS cap is set to 30, Vsync on, but... Vsync is clearly off and FPS is more that 30 for sure - Ylands says so too. Because that settings works great for me, I do not want to mess with it, thought I'd like to see if Ultra would work faster too.) if I'm not doing much, 40FPS when I'm moving or building and around 15-20FPS when I'm exploring more areas (video is set to low, howether it wasn't big difference in my case). Before ma max FPS was ~20 and around 8FPS when exploring or in combat. So, I guess it has to be HDD involved...

Is the Ram Drive still a feature of Windows? I recall that in earlier versions of Windows, if there was not enough ram to handle functions, then windows would create a virtual ram drive on the HD. This meant slower performance of course. There was even an option to set the allocated space for the virtual ram drive. Perhaps this is what's happening in your case; you need more ram to run Ylands so Windows is compensating with a virtual ram on your disk... this would explain why you are getting a lot of r/w from the drive and why your SSD has helped you.

• Upvote 1

On 14.01.2018 at 5:22 AM, Whane The Whip said:

Is the Ram Drive still a feature of Windows? I recall that in earlier versions of Windows, if there was not enough ram to handle functions, then windows would create a virtual ram drive on the HD. This meant slower performance of course. There was even an option to set the allocated space for the virtual ram drive. Perhaps this is what's happening in your case; you need more ram to run Ylands so Windows is compensating with a virtual ram on your disk... this would explain why you are getting a lot of r/w from the drive and why your SSD has helped you.

Hi, yes, Win7 is still using SWAP file (they changed name of the RAM Drive to Virtual Drive) and yes, I can set it as I wish. Movieng to SSD made giant difference, but it seem that or SWAP file is still to small (I was using primarly "let the Windows set swap file size") or there is different problem too. I'm still experimenting with it. So, I'm trying to hear from devs what settings would be best for 8GB RAM system with 1GB VRAM.

Have a Nice Day,

ComR

• Thanks 1

You can get programs to make Virtual RAM Drives, but it takes up your actual RAM for size, this is only  useful if you have the RAM in the 1st place, which most people wouldn't i imagine.

Not sure if this still works on Win 10 or not. I have not used a Page file (swap file) in years... I use SSD's no HDD's and have 16GB Ram and the system runs fine.

However recently i have found that playing ylands for long periods will reach this limit and ultimately crash the computer.. since then i monitor ylands for memory leaks..

and thats the client, as for servers there has been reports of a few servers reaching 16GB Ram or even higher.. points to unoptimized early access product.

Edited by Energritz_

Hi,

Yes, I guess it's the problem and normal problem for any beta. It's a pity it crashes - this is serious problem, but I'm sure devs will eventually do something with it and Ylands will be playable also for us.

No, I wassn't talking about Virtual RAM drives programs, but Windows usind HD in case of running out of RAM. It's part of a system and idea is - Windows will move everything to HDD or even USB Flash (if you have SSD, using USB as RAM will be turned off). This is why GTA V or Watch Dogs works on my system. They use Swap Files to use it as RAM in case "real RAM runs off". I hope Ylands Devs are aware of this and eventually will implement using HDD in case of RAM size problems. But, I was sure it's automatic and Windows should take care of this..? This is theory though...