marcosgijon

How many islands can you find in a single game?

Hi there! 

I bought the game some weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. Since I started to play, I've always wondered how many islands I could find in one game. Could somebody tell me that?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

In a regular Explore game, you can find up to 8-12 ylands per map :)

14 minutes ago, Ane said:

Ok, thanks! 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Ane said:

Are there plans to expand this or give us the ability to generate multiple island in creative?

We definitely want to add more options to the ylands creation process and adding more ylands is also a possibility, but there are no plans for this yet :)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ane said:

We definitely want to add more options to the ylands creation process and adding more ylands is also a possibility, but there are no plans for this yet :)

Thanks. I only ask because a lot of us want to play in large groups and not have to worry about running out of resources/places to settle

On 11/7/2017 at 10:40 AM, Ane said:

Would love that, either options to have more or get them procedurally generated. After the successful launch on Steam, are there any news on that?

Not sure what you mean by "or get them procedurally generated." All the ylands are procedurally generated right now.

15 minutes ago, Ane said:

Not sure what you mean by "or get them procedurally generated." All the ylands are procedurally generated right now.

More like that as soon as you go to the edge of the map, new islands will be generated. This for example happens in minecraft world generation, where the world is generated as you go, not the first time you create the world. This way minecraft maps can be nearly infinite big, solving the problem of running out of certain resources.

• Upvote 2

So you don't undestand him? What he means is, that you guys say it's an open world Game. But it isn't really! The Islands that can spawn are limited to a number. What he means is, that the whole world needs to be endless(open). So when you sail with a ship to an end point there will be new islands created by the engine so that ressources will never end. Like in minecraft. That's open world. Can you tell me, if the animals and ores are respawning? Otherwise the game has an end, because 12 islands with no new animals or new ore veins means an end of ressources.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ane said:

I meant exactly what the guys below said, that more ylands are generated based on a seed. Or at least a very, very, big map (with a lot more ylands) is generated, with that "magic trick" that when you reach the border of the map, you appear at the other side. With the current number of ylands and limited resources in them, the lifespan of a game is reduced a lot (even more in multiplayer).

Edited by InvictusESP
  • Like 1

Right. So I'm not quite sure if having an infinite amount of procedurally generated ylands is going to be a thing in the game, we'll probably talk about that in one of our Dev Diaries if that becomes a thing :)

11 minutes ago, Ane said:

Right. So I'm not quite sure if having an infinite amount of procedurally generated ylands is going to be a thing in the game, we'll probably talk about that in one of our Dev Diaries if that becomes a thing :)

And what about larger maps, is there anything about this on the roadmap as of now? If so, please give us some information :)

• Upvote 1

Here are 3 saves I have that show where the islands are at. All either have 10 or 12.  That is mostly all I have found. They say there is 8 but I haven't found a layout yet that has only 8.

799A133515DE5C98C5A0C024BEF8D411E9BAA4FF

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Dustin Michael said:

Here are 3 saves I have that show where the islands are at. All either have 10 or 12.  That is mostly all I have found. They say there is 8 but I haven't found a layout yet that has only 8.

799A133515DE5C98C5A0C024BEF8D411E9BAA4FF

How did you get the full map to show as the thumbnail like that?

This can only be done at the beginning of a save. Once you start a new save and go into the island leave right away.  Then when you go to continue it should show a map of your save instead of the character. If it doesn't show erase your progress out of that save, and since you didn't do anything erasing nothing is fine. When you do that the map will show as your save. Screen shot that then go in the game. Explore your island you are on and get the shape of it. From there point out the island you are on in the big map like this and now you know where you are and where every island is on your save.

On 11.12.2017 at 11:45 PM, Dustin Michael said:

This can only be done at the beginning of a save. Once you start a new save and go into the island leave right away.  Then when you go to continue it should show a map of your save instead of the character. If it doesn't show erase your progress out of that save, and since you didn't do anything erasing nothing is fine. When you do that the map will show as your save. Screen shot that then go in the game. Explore your island you are on and get the shape of it. From there point out the island you are on in the big map like this and now you know where you are and where every island is on your save.

What do you mean about "erase progress"? Can you explain please.

Edited by frostmx

On 12/11/2017 at 1:45 PM, Dustin Michael said:

I started and erased several times trying to get a rainforest island spawn but none of those games showed me the map as the thumbnail... should I back out from the character screen or should I let it load all the way into the map?