davepopp1

Suggestion - Mark Explore Games That Used a Cube

Question

I think it would be a good idea to have a some kind of identifier on the screen if a Creator Cube has ever been dropped in an Explore game or if it's ever been opened in the editor. YouTubers are being accused of using the cube whether they are or not. So there should be a way for them to show it. I'm not saying that using the cube is a bad thing. Viewers should just be able to tell if it's creative mode or not.

Edited by davepopp1

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

But wouldn't these "Youtubers" be playing on their single player worlds? and if not, controlled private servers? i only see an issue if its on open/public servers. I doubt they would ever play on public servers and stay hidden away on their safety worlds.

Other than that, they saying goes, if it looks to good to be true then it probably is.

Also some of these "Youtubers" have had access to the game forever, getting very early copies of the game... which would also explain a lot.

if  people  are  in single player   explore  mode.... whats the use of a  marker like that?  who  else would see it?  why is it  needed ?

I have a test game  where i use  the cube to try   builds  before i   construct them  in my  explore  game   -in that test game  there's a  tiny  cube   top left of  screen to let me know its  active.

In my explore  game , there's only me, ..(and  spectators in the house  peeking over my shoulder at the monitor ) :D so  whats the use of a symbol there?

I have not played a  MP game  and  don't  desire to  do so yet because of the  few  who wreck such  games,  and  from  what i gather, the  server admins  don't  allow the cube there.

If  you are referring to people  who are in MP  explore  games and  seem to be  able to craft objects  real  quickly ...it could be due to the fact they have  been playing   quite a while and  can organize   their  priorities and  skills  through  experience.

I must not have explained what I meant very well.

If someone makes a Let's Play series for Ylands on YouTube in a single player game there needs to be a way for the audience to see if they spawned in resources. The way it is now it's wide open for misrepresentation. I could build a massive castle and tell everyone watching that I did it the hard way, even though I spawned in all the resources needed to build it.

I have a friend that is a fairly large YouTube content creator. He loves Ylands but won't do a lets play series because there is no way to prove to his viewers that he's doing it the hard way. He takes pride in his builds and the grind is a big part of that.

Another VERY large content creator just finished a let's play series and there are comments in his videos accusing him of cheating.

Why not just have some way to keep it honest. Again, I don't think using the cube is a bad thing as long as they let the viewers know it a Let's Build and not a Let's Play. But I think legit players will stop making content for Ylands if they can't prove how they are doing it.

Gotcha!  I see what you mean  now.  I work on the   philosophy  that if  its too good to be true, then that's the  case.

I know that when i have a game using the cube  in  play,  it appears as a little purple  symbol top  left ,  and these games  are used by me   to  test  things  for an actual serious survival game..   Using the cube in actual  gameplay  reduces the  skill and  aim of the game. With  modern  video editing packages  its  even possible to  edit  that out.

The problem with   you tube is  that you can never take what you see on it   at face value. You can be sure that that skimpy  dressed voluptuous girl in the thumbnail  losing her  clothes  is just  clickbait, and the actual  video  will probably   be about   how to  change the oil on a   tractor   narrated by some  robotic  voice   and  not a tractor in  sight!:D

No matter what the   developers of the  game do here,  there is noting  they can  do about   youtube videos, except  If the content  actually  missrepresents  Ylands  in a libelous form. Then the  devs  could   contact   Youtube  for  action, but  from  what  i have  seen and  heard about that, you don't  hold your  breath waiting  for  youtube  action. The  devs  have better  things to do than watch  every   Youtube vide about  Ylands  to police   trivial stuff like   a  youtuber  stroking his  ego with a  creator cube.

I only   look at the  actual  on line  streaming  videos, where you can see any editing. But as far as the others  go,  I don't  bother.  If its on the   internet,  it   must be true?:P

Stay with  Ylands and  explore and  create  honestly ..   at least  you can feel good  about   what you achieved and how   you achieved it! :D

I don't understand the point. Creative is a choice when playing Ylands. Since it's a choice available to everyone, it's not cheating. Cheating is when one has an advantage over others that is not available to others. Why not afford other players the choice to play in creative if they choose to. When looking at art, who says to the artist: "Your art doesn't count because you used a different brush". And in this case, one brush choice over another just saves time. Look at all of the ships in the workshop... there's some very nice work in there, some were built in creative, some in explore, but that does not distract from any artistic quality that I see.

[EDIT] If you want something to display as proof that you built everything without a cube, that's cool, I don't see anything wrong with a mark, of sorts. But if someone is making accusations, without proof, then it's toothless, and disregarding of the work done.

Edited by Whane The Whip

Creative is a choice yes. But if I were a content creator I would skip over this game. Or any vox game that lets you hide the fact that you are technically in creative mode. The only way to show that you don't have the cube is to grind resources on video, and who wants to watch that?

Edit: Kimbuck ... Good points about video editing. But from what I've seen with the cube you can dump resources into a chest and just hide the cube in another chest somewhere. Then it looks like you're back in survival mode but you have all the resources you need for the episode.

Edited by davepopp1

1 hour ago, Whane The Whip said:

I don't understand the point. Creative is a choice when playing Ylands. Since it's a choice available to everyone, it's not cheating. Cheating is when one has an advantage over others that is not available to others. Why not afford other players the choice to play in creative if they choose to. When looking at art, who says to the artist: "Your art doesn't count because you used a different brush". And in this case, one brush choice over another just saves time. Look at all of the ships in the workshop... there's some very nice work in there, some were built in creative, some in explore, but that does not distract from any artistic quality that I see.

[EDIT] If you want something to display as proof that you built everything without a cube, that's cool, I don't see anything wrong with a mark, of sorts. But if someone is making accusations, without proof, then it's toothless, and disregarding of the work done.

Your art doesn't count because you used a different brush".  nope in this case, its your art didn't count because you traced someone else's drawing.   Apples and oranges my man.  Many, many games do this for survival modes, if you go into any form of cheat, it denies you survival mode back.   you're not even talking about the actual issue, the issue is moving the save to world editor, than moving it back to survival, like you worked for it.    that's cheating. period. no way around it.       This is more comparable to the athlete that uses steroids, sure, any athlete can, but that doesn't mean its not cheating. 

I dont understand all the kickback on this, you guys pissed because your explore saves will no longer be legit grinded out? other than that reason, i don't know why you'd be opposed. I see a ton of guilt here tbh.

Edit: didn't see your edit.     

Edited by Skippy Zerothreethreezero

I think the  topic  has wandered off the path   and into the wilderness.  :P

My take  is  that  there are players posting   videos of their  achievements,  which they  have  created  using the  creators  cube,  and  not mentioning  so,  giving the impression they are super creators.  This may not  be their  intention.

I know of some series of " how to " videos  that are probably  done that way,  not to glorify  the  creator,  but to  save  time and  avoid boredom while  different  aspects  of the game  are highlighted .. for instructional purposes.

I find these videos  helpful  in  showing  what  i could  achieve as i progress into the game.

I play Ylands  in explore, single  player, and prefer to start from scratch , and   evolve   through the  game   through  skill and survival.  my  Ylands are littered  with   my tombstones of   "un-success"^_^  I  have a test game  where i use the cube to see how  things  can be   done...   then  i go back to  my original  un-edited game  and  start  the  quest of   hunting for the resources  to  duplicate   what i have learned .

As  far as  cheating is  concerned , i see  the  cube  as an issue in MP  games where PVP  is   rampant,  or   PVE games where someone  wants to be the "King  Pin" without developing  skills etc. and  dominate.

People  will always  copy and   try a minor  alteration and  claim it as their original ..  its not  new ...look at the  art world,  and  also  in manufacturing. if  people  didn't  do it, then there would be  no need  for  copyright laws.

How   others  play the  game   in their own world is no concern or  worry to me .. the  term i use is  " i do not  give a pinch of  possum poo ".  xD

But  when I succeed in creating something / anything  that's  impressive  through my own  hard effort and  brain power... then i  feel happy.  very happy. There's a lot i have  done  i have not  shared on the forums here, simply  because i don't want to be  as boring here as i  actually  am in real  lifeo.O

Youtube videos of   ylands   don't  bother me  if they are real or  fake ..   but you have to acknowledge there are players  here   who  were  playing the game  from its  inception.. and they possess   knowledge and  skills of  at least a years effort learning the game  ..and therefore helping the  developers   swat  bugs.

There are also  new players to here that  I know  from other  VR games  who have demonstrated their amazing  creativity and  building skills. If you check out the welcome  area of  "inworldz"  for one  example,  based on Jackson Square in Louisiana,  you will see the creations of  Yadni Monde...  and also  his own region there of  Mont  st  Michel ( spelling? )  both are   amazingly  accurate in recreating to  original. He  also has a prior  reputation as a master  creator  in  "Second  Life"  ..He  recently   arrived  here, and    he  doesn't  need  no creators  cube or  cheat   with all his prior creating experience.

So  lets  all  just enjoy the game   as we play it... and get  satisfaction from it  our  way:D

Edited by kimbuck
fix some obvious spelling errors but possibly not all of them

5 hours ago, Skippy Zerothreethreezero said:

Many, many games do this for survival modes, if you go into any form of cheat, it denies you survival mode back.

Summary: Copying other people is okay.

your art didn't count because you traced someone else's drawing

Summary: Copying other people is not okay.

O.o

While it's true that I expect some things to remain the same within a genre (or else it's hard to define the game as fitting within a genre), I also like diversity within the genre. Without diversity there would be no reason for me to play a new game, if they just all copied each other to do what "many other games" do.

you're not even talking about the actual issue... you guys pissed because your explore saves will no longer be legit grinded out ... I see a ton of guilt here tbh

This is most certainly on topic because the topic isn't one dimensional. One does not have to be "guilty" in order to disagree. Your points might be easier to accept if they were not sprinkled with personal appeals and I have good reason to doubt your empathic abilities.

This is more comparable to the athlete that uses steroids, sure, any athlete can, but that doesn't mean its not cheating

Good point, I accept this. However, making claims about others cheating, is still toothless unless there is proof. Without proof, it's just a youtube witchhunt and I still fail to see the point of that.

other than that reason, i don't know why you'd be opposed

As stated in my reply, I'm not apposed to some type of indicator. Personally I don't care, but if others do then I have no reason to be against it, you having a mark does not harm me in any way. And in both cases I'm fine without trying to control what people do for their youtube play-thru's.

What I'm not okay with is removing the ability to play a survival game that was generated with the editor because a world generated with the editor and then moved to a DS offers FAR MORE options for those playing on the server, as in quests and mini-games, triggers, spawn and respawn choices, teleportation, Q&A sessions (though I don't think this is currently working within a DS) as well as other logics, the size and number of islands, the biome, the length of the day/night cycle, the ability to include player welcome kits and letters, the ability to decide what happens when a player when s/he dies and a bunch of other stuff that I'm still learning. Without an editor to customize my DS, then my DS would just be a copy of the Explore map. And there are restrictions, once the DS launches, I can no longer place logics, so I have to be certain of the world condition before I use it as a DS.

Want a "mark" because someone thinks youtubers are considered guilty unless they can prove otherwise? I don't have a personal issue with that because it does not effect me, though I can't speak for the youtubers that are being accused. But take away using the editor to create a custom map that others play in survival so that every DS game can be a copy of each other? No thanks.

And on my DS I always wear the cube, not because I want to "cheat" but because it gives me some advantage when administrating my DS, such as clean up, replenishment of ore, maintenance, and dealing with grief... all of which is 85% of my time on the server anyway, and I like it.

Out of curiosity, do you have Ylands videos?

Edited by Whane The Whip
  • Upvote 1

For dedicated servers, the creator cube is the only way to repopulate extinct creatures and replenish ore supplies on starting islands. That's a multiplayer issue of course, but youtube streamers on a dedicated server can't comfy l control the host of those places unless they are the host. 

As for youtube comments, trolls exist on any social medium. Getting accused of cheating can be done on any game, and the reasons stated are legion. 

Perhaps a new game mode can be introduced with a focus on hardcore rules, and inability to use editor on that save. I doubt it would silence accusations of cheating, short of a livestream session from start to finish.