jchob

Multiplayer

Hi, I know I'm "spamming" with new posts, but that's because I'm a new player and searched for answers that I didn't find.

Multiplayer - yeah, i read in the forum that something is about to change at next update. When I try to play the dedicated server (hosted by a player called Jonh if I am correct), it's normal to don't find players at the yland at all? When I join the yland, I see 2 "players" but they don't respond or move. It is for developers testing or something related?

I also had times that I was disconnected from the server.

Will there be an option to choose multiplayer PVP or PVE?

As you must know; 

PVP option is where you can kill any player

PVE option is where you are unable to attack/kill a player

Any previsions when the multiplayer will be crowded? I can only find 3 games under multiplayer, and 2 of them are password protected.

Yes, the game is a lot of fun and interesting to play singleplayer. It's amazing!

So, how multiplayer will work exactly? the ylands are "small" for 1 player.

Let's talk about 5 players - the resources like iron, clay, copper, coal, salt, etc are limited. So, there will be a limited time for that "map"? I mean, that map only is playable during a 1 month).

1 hour ago, KoToC said:

Hi, I know I'm "spamming" with new posts, but that's because I'm a new player and searched for answers that I didn't find.

Multiplayer - yeah, i read in the forum that something is about to change at next update. When I try to play the dedicated server (hosted by a player called Jonh if I am correct), it's normal to don't find players at the yland at all? When I join the yland, I see 2 "players" but they don't respond or move. It is for developers testing or something related?

I also had times that I was disconnected from the server.

Will there be an option to choose multiplayer PVP or PVE?

As you must know; 

PVP option is where you can kill any player

PVE option is where you are unable to attack/kill a player

Any previsions when the multiplayer will be crowded? I can only find 3 games under multiplayer, and 2 of them are password protected.

Yes, the game is a lot of fun and interesting to play singleplayer. It's amazing!

So, how multiplayer will work exactly? the ylands are "small" for 1 player.

Let's talk about 5 players - the resources like iron, clay, copper, coal, salt, etc are limited. So, there will be a limited time for that "map"? I mean, that map only is playable during a 1 month).

Hi there, I hope I can address some of your questions - though the future of multiplayer is in the hands of the development!

"i read in the forum that something is about to change at next update" - As far as I know, they are working hard to release a revised dedicated server, hopefully in or around the next update. As some issues were noted from hosts, they have been working to re-write it as can be read in more detail in their development diaries.

"When I try to play the dedicated server (hosted by a player called Jonh if I am correct), it's normal to don't find players at the yland at all? When I join the yland, I see 2 "players" but they don't respond or move. It is for developers testing or something related?" - Yes for the most part, the dedicated servers are what people are likely waiting for (and Steam) in regards to populated servers, there is currently a 10 player limit for simultaneous players, and the servers that are currently online, are generally for personal (locked) or testing purposes. I host my one for a bit of both, and it is quite common for nobody to be online, or the opposite - weekends seem to be more active! Further, currently if a player has logged on and been created, then logs off, their player stays in game and just doesn't move. I too have attempted to talk to people whom are not online, this may be updated at some stage to reflect a players status better!

"Will there be an option to choose multiplayer PVP or PVE?" - I hope so as well, as many other Ylands players are looking for a social, but friendly experience. I certainly don't have any plans to engage in PvP but some people might want to do the pirate thing so... a setting for this seems like a popular option!

"So, how multiplayer will work exactly? the ylands are "small" for 1 player.

Let's talk about 5 players - the resources like iron, clay, copper, coal, salt, etc are limited. So, there will be a limited time for that "map"? I mean, that map only is playable during a 1 month)." - Currently to my knowledge, multiplayer (or a dedicated server), allows anyone to host their own save game, these can be made in the editor, or the preset types - such as explore or creative modes. More game modes and assets for building games can also be downloaded / subscribed to, via the workshop.

An explore mode game, generates more than one Yland, so as the starting Yland may become depleted of resources, there are several other Ylands that can be sailed to and inhabited etc (though I don't have an exact idea of how many other Ylands or how large the map is). You can navigate to these other Ylands by following the flying seagulls, that fly between them.

Further, I haven't had a multiplayer save game older than a week so far, my current save is due to stay online up until the next updates occur.

I am thinking that I should upload the save game file when I wipe though, so that people can continue, or save their builds etc in single player mode, or host it themselves, if they so choose.

Another point is that if you load a save game in to the editor, you can save your buildings and things you have made, as a composition file, then when you make your new map, you can simply place your old things back in! The editor is a very handy tool indeed.

Edited by John - Ylanders
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the response. You surelly answered my questions.

I don't really know how that compositions work. You say, if I build a house in explore mode I can save it and then I can place it in another new game? I don't have to build it again?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, KoToC said:

Thanks for the response. You surelly answered my questions.

I don't really know how that compositions work. You say, if I build a house in explore mode I can save it and then I can place it in another new game? I don't have to build it again?

Yes, while it is easier to build something in the editor and do this, it is just as possible to load any save game, highlight the things you have built that you wish to keep, right click it and choose "Save as composition", then on the right hand side of the editor, under the compositions tab, you can simply click on it, and spawn it in to a new map etc. You can also share your compositions on the workshop, or subscribe to / download other peoples!

• Upvote 1

In the map editor, you can generate islands that are bigger than the ones currently generated in explore mode. You can't get the cool caves and stuff yet, but I'm sure that will be implemented in the future.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, silentghoust said:

In the map editor, you can generate islands that are bigger than the ones currently generated in explore mode. You can't get the cool caves and stuff yet, but I'm sure that will be implemented in the future.

Yes, and if you are wishing to make a game mode, it currently doesn't let you import in an explore mode save game, and convert it to your own game mode - it seems you have to generate the world without caves etc as you mentioned, to save it as your own mode. As I've tried several times without success, to create my own game mode, using an explore mode generated save game.

Edited by John - Ylanders

5 hours ago, Hurricane43 said:

Hey John, 

Did your server go down by chance? Not sure, but it wasnt there last evening...

Ah sorry, it should be back up now!

21 minutes ago, John - Ylanders said:

Ah sorry, it should be back up now!

No worries, thanks much... Appreciate it...