Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #36

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

With Rainy Roads almost out of the door, it’s time to look a bit further. Up until now, we have always unveiled the following update theme as soon as the current one was released. Today we’re going to change that and I will tell you about what’s planned for 0.6. There’s actually more than one reason for that. Firstly, as both the team and the project keep growing in size, more strategic planning is necessary and we want to discuss things with you in advance. Also, sometime after we get to Steam and things settle down a bit, our plan is to give the brave ones among you the opportunity to access the development branch of Ylands in some way so that you could see what’s being cooked and provide us with relevant feedback early on. If we do that there will be fewer surprises for you, but we believe it’s going to be worth it.

So what can you expect in 0.6?

Cheerful Characters! 

Internally we call this update NPCs, but that can be a bit misleading, because for many, “non player characters” are often synonymous with “player friendly characters”, which is not really the case with our NPCs - more times than not those will very likely be humanoid enemies, that will, just by their presence, bring life to otherwise empty single player games.

Take the “Wild West” game available at our Workshop - how cool would it be if even in single player you could decide to defend the town against attacking enemies or vice versa? In 0.6 we want to go over what we created so far and improve it with the new features available to us. I think you can imagine that if NPCs come hand in hand with even some support for our current "visual" scripting, it will let both you and us create some really great games.

WW.png

Now picture it full of life with NPCs roaming around! Hopefully, they are not aware of their existence like in the Westworld series :P

And it’s not only about pre-scripted situations or combat set up in a fixed way. We were glad that several of you already mentioned pirates because that is one of the things that we’d like to do in 0.6 - dynamic random encounters where pirates would be guarding treasures or hunting you down.

With that, your ylands will get a bit more dangerous and a whole lot more exciting.

We have a lot of plans with characters in Ylands and we believe 0.6 will be a start of something really big and interesting!

So that’s it for this week’s Sneak Peek and I’ll see you in the next one. Until then, ylanders, enjoy the summer and stay classy!

• Upvote 3

Thanks for the sneak peek... I look forward to having some npcs livenup the game world, although i do like my quiet times with building, so i hope they wont be attacking me to often ?... i think the treasures is a great idea and point of interests for where pirates will be stationed at.

For example a pirate sitting in a chair in a point of interest would be nice addition, and spooky also... A nice reward for taking out a pirate could be something like a weapon, ingots, a vehicle part, etc... Many options there... 

A pirate or two on the yland would definately add a lot of tense moments for us. Some perhaps are geared up and we can then take their armor, weapon etc when we kill them...

Maybe we can down the road capture them and bring them back to our house where they will fight for us and help us from future attacks????

I like the idea of the experimental branch it can benefit the team finding bugs etc, and giving feedback....

Would the hunting pirate have a damage meter above his/her head? Might be a nice addition, along with other animals etc...

So are you saying we can place the mummy town on our own yland in single player? Mmmm thats would be epic....

Can we get patch notes for 0.5 ahead of time? Perhaps next week?

Thanks 

Great to know, thanks for sharing! :)

My racing tracks game mode is almost finished, can't wait!

Edited by John - Ylanders
  • Upvote 2

Great! Looks like the update will come as soon as I will be back at home. :DCan't wait to test all kinds of racing tracks! :) It's just shame that my holidays are already in half and I played Ylands just a few hours. At least I will have time now. :P

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The idea of pirates are great, there's so many possibilites you could do with this, for instance they could have a strong hold on the island where you and your friends would need to gear up and raid it, and in return for completing the raid get amazing loot!

Man its exciting thinking about it! 

Edited by Achilles77
  • Upvote 1

Shops, trading via NPCs, random pirates spawning and raiding you! All great things I look forward to, would be nice to be able to script the NPCs as well, quests, instancing etc. Can't wait!

Once again thanks for the feedback guys - feel free to tell us all the ideas you have when it comes to NPCs! 0.6 will be the very first iteration of NPCs so obviously many things you will come up with will be impossible to do with that version (don't worry though, it will still be a great update ;) ) but telling us now is important so that the system we create is robust enough to allow for those to be easily added in future updates. 

@Hurricane43 As for getting the 0.5 patch notes earlier - that is, unfortunately, not possible right now, because notes about the changes and additions we make are normally stored in our internal format, phrased in a way that isn't really "player-readable" (they contain references to internal issue tracking system, internal notes etc.) and we "translate" those to something player-friendly basically right before the update is released so that it contains even potential last-minute changes made based on final QA testing. As I wrote above that will change sometime in future when we're ready to let players access our builds in advance but there's still a long way ahead of us before we get to that stage.5 ahead of time? Perhaps next week?

@Aleš Ulm Thank you very much for the information and being very transparent, that is great news that your team is always keeping us up to date everything...

Oh my, Beer and Pizza from New Jersey, USA for the team, if .5 is on the horizon.... oh Christmas would come early...:D

I think alot of people have some nice ideas for npcs. For my myself as mentioned it would be nice to have an npc by my side to recruit and do various odd things at my home or out on the ylands... Maybe you can send the noc out in a boat, and he will come back after several houra with a couple items or maybe he got eaten by sharks... ?

Having the npc feel like a part of you is important so you want him to have some good gear and armor if you send him out on the yland. Maybe he/she can turn on lights in the home, make ingots, marble blocks, and or craft at stations while i go out and loot. Obviously this is for end game, late game things. Perhaps the npc is a recruited pirate you captured....

Bring on .5 ??  

4 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

Once again thanks for the feedback guys - feel free to tell us all the ideas you have when it comes to NPCs! 0.6 will be the very first iteration of NPCs so obviously many things you will come up with will be impossible to do with that version (don't worry though, it will still be a great update ;) ) but telling us now is important so that the system we create is robust enough to allow for those to be easily added in future updates. 

@Hurricane43 As for getting the 0.5 patch notes earlier - that is, unfortunately, not possible right now, because notes about the changes and additions we make are normally stored in our internal format, phrased in a way that isn't really "player-readable" (they contain references to internal issue tracking system, internal notes etc.) and we "translate" those to something player-friendly basically right before the update is released so that it contains even potential last-minute changes made based on final QA testing. As I wrote above that will change sometime in future when we're ready to let players access our builds in advance but there's still a long way ahead of us before we get to that stage.5 ahead of time? Perhaps next week?

So can we expect the patch next week? :)

2 hours ago, Bladefury said:

So can we expect the patch next week? :)

Most probably, yes! :)

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry about the confusion, but I just realized I said next week when the update is meant to be out sometime during the week after that one (the one starting on the 7th, that is). We are just finishing the final touches and polishing the cars and will be using the next week for thorough testing (and thanks to John, we'll test the cars in the game he created too! Thanks for that! Enough testing is never enough :) ) Again, sorry about the confusion, my mistake.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Ane said:

I'm sorry about the confusion, but I just realized I said next week when the update is meant to be out sometime during the week after that one (the one starting on the 7th, that is). We are just finishing the final touches and polishing the cars and will be using the next week for thorough testing (and thanks to John, we'll test the cars in the game he created too! Thanks for that! Enough testing is never enough :) ) Again, sorry about the confusion, my mistake.

You're welcome, glad it could be of some use!

A slight bug I've noticed with it, that you too may encounter - in multiplayer mode, the energy switches near the track seems to not be working when switched, however, in single player mode they work just fine. I don't know if it's just my instance of it running in multiplayer yet though, I will test it and find out.

*On further inspection, it seems the host of the multiplayer session can interact with the switches just fine, just not the guest account that I am attempting it with. The switch moves, but the energy does not do what it should!

Further, if I switch it off on the guest account, the energy still flows, however, on the host account, I can see it turning off!

I guess it's just a visual / client sided bug then!

Edited by John - Ylanders
  • Upvote 1

Yes, just like Ane said the next week we'll spend doing final pre-release QA focused mostly on the cars (those who ever created anything physics-based know that those things can be a true nightmare to set up properly :)). It's great that we will be able to test it even with something the community made! :)

• Upvote 1