Sign in to follow this  
Onedown

Game becomes mostly unplayable

Question

Just wanted to take a moment to let folks at bohemia know that Ylands becomes unplayable for me (single player mode, i haven't played multiplayer at all) after 6 to 9 new islands are discovered.  The hard drive becomes busy alternating between system and Ylands.exe with the disk at 100% for sometimes 5 minutes and more a time the game becomes unresponsive then responds for less than a minute then unresponsive again then I try and exit the game and it takes upwards of ten minutes just to exit to the main menu then another 5 to ten minutes just to exit the game.  I've chalked up a lot of time playing because I like the game.  Its just too bad i have never been able to finish exploring everything.  This problem became worse after last update.  

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

Please send us the following files: output_log and output_log_clean, you can find them in the directory \Program Files(86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Ylands\Ylands_Data

Defrag your drive if it's a HDD, if it's a SSD then you need to find out what using the resources..

My HDD is on auto defrag.  Also when only one piece of software causes trouble I tend to blame the software rather than the hardware that runs every other program I have just fine.  Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion though.  If I had to make adjustments to my computer every time I wanted to run a new program I'd get nothing at all done.

How much memory does your system have and how much memory is the Ylands process taking up?  Just curious if you're exceeding available physical memory and then it's spending the rest of the time swapping to your pagefile on disk.

Ylands hasn't been fully optimized yet so it tends to grab memory resources aggressively.

If you're familiar with Resource Monitor in Windows, you can go to the Disk tab and find out what file I/O is thrashing the disk.  Is it Ylands or something else?

Edited by Baz Foobar

23 minutes ago, Baz Foobar said:

If you're familiar with Resource Monitor in Windows, you can go to the Disk tab and find out what file I/O is thrashing the disk.  Is it Ylands or something else?

I actually don't care about this enough to bother with it.  Like you said,  it's not optimized and absolutely everything else I run has no problem.  I was just trying to be nice and report the problem so that they can fix it if they choose to do so which I assume they are interested in doing. I'm not interested in solving the games problems for them.  The game was cheap and watching Keralis play it showed me it could be fun so I broke my own rule and bought an early access game and now i'll put it down and come back to it when it's finished reminding myself why I had the rule in the first place.  I did have fun playing it's just not at a point yet where I can fully enjoy it.  

OK that's certainly your prerogative.  At any rate, glad you had fun - hope you make it back as the game development progresses to see if it becomes more fun for you.

Edited by Baz Foobar

With an update coming up I was wondering if there has been any headway on this issue.