Sign in to follow this  
svisketyggeren

Just some questions..

Hey, trying to get into this game...trying to see past the terrible graphics and see if this game could be the next creative building game I get into. So I log into a server that says its non pvp. 1 hour later im on my way to building my first cabin, then a guy walks up to me and kills me. I assumed that wasnt possible on a pve server, but im guessing they dont quite have those parameter in game yet? Kinda strange, isnt this game nearing release? Shouldnt they atleast have dedicated pvp and pve server in place soon?

Another thing, seems 8 players is max on the servers. Any plans to have more in the future?

I dont mind simplstic graphics at all. I like The Long Dark graphics and even World of Worldcraft look nice. Problem for me is the total lack of textures in Ylands. Makes everything look sterile and boring. I honestly dont think the game will benefit from the lack of textures. Most ppl dont like this kind of graphics, if that was the case we would have more game like this. Fact is, most games, eventhough they have simplistic graphics, use textures. And the result for Ylands is just less ppl playing it. So eventhough many of u like the graphics, I think the overly simple graphics will only be detrimental to the game.

Look at other voxel/building games out there, 7DaystoDie, ECO, Stellar overload etc...they are all moving away from the overly simple Minecraft graphics.

Ylands is not nearing release.  Not sure where you got that impression from.  Early Access isn't over until August.

There is no in-game mechanism at the moment to prevent PVP.  Not sure if it's in the works, but mostly admins are self-enforcing their own servers at the moment.  I have a strict no-griefing policy on my server and I don't give second chances if I see anyone breaking the rule.  Their account gets banned, no questions asked.

Sorry you encountered an asshat on your first foray into the game.  We're not all idiots, I promise.

Thanks for your input. Don't forget to close the door on your way out.

• Haha 1

Heya! I personally really like the graphics style Ylands uses, but I can also see why some people simply don't. It balances "realism" and abstraction really well. Games such as Eco and 7 days to die suffer from the fact that the world feels so "square" and blocky, and the textures don't. The voxel system Ylands uses feels much more dynamic terrain/object wise, while the building blocks are still mainly blocky. The art style perfectly combines the grid-style building and the dynamic terrain/objects. The only real issue I have with it is that I can see why it would cause performance issues.

For PVP/PVE: Multiplayer at the moment is still in it's early stages. I totally agree that MP still needs a lot of love for it to be enjoyable in the long run, something a lot of players are really looking forward to. If you want to give MP a careful try, try to find a server where the rules are strictly enforced with a lot of active admins. Alternatively play with a bunch of friends in "coop" mode, by letting one of you host a server locally. Even then this game isn't ready yet to drop a lot of hours into a specific MP server, since savegames still go wrong every now and then, requiring a fresh start. Good news is that they recently hired someone to fix the MP, so I'm expecting a lot of good news for 0.8!

Disappointment is the wrong word I think, but I think I know what makes you feel the way you do about the game not being "finished". Don't we all have these moments where we're daydreaming about all the things we want to do in the game but we simply can't do yet, because it's not in development. Sometimes this even involves wishing we're gonna be able to do things that will never happen, which is quite unfortunate. Think about what you want to do in the game, if that's likely to happen (and if not, try to make it happen by making suggestion topics!) and then decide if Ylands is the game you really want to get into. This whole experience is both what makes early access good and bad at the same time :) 

Thanks for sharing what you think about the game, this only makes the game better. I've got one question for you: what is it you would like to see and do in Ylands in the future?

Adrie

• Like 1

Actually.. Ylands does have textures.. as @WijkagentAdrie said above. It's a nice balance that's not overly 'realistic' (or realistic at all) but not.. pixely like Minecraft. Personally I love the look of the game.
But yes. If you check all the different blocks, like wood, or planks. You will see actual textures on it. Just that the game adopts a.. for the lack of words. Cartoonish graphics? And it's personally a nice change from games that look.. bad.. In my opinion (Like 7 days to die). It's also a nice change from games like Conan Exiles (I love that game.. too bad the devs of Conan Exiles axed like.. half of the ideas they had when showing off the game for the first time. So it's now just a pvp mess)

As for PVP/PVE. As the good man said above. It does need some love. For now there are quite a few bugs and issues to be fixed. I honestly see Ylands as being more of a PVE, exploration.. Coop sort of game rather than the competitive PVP survival games out there (aka 90% of them) And I hope to the gods of our lovely Ylands that it's gonna be more PVE focused. (Don't take me wrong.. I'd love PVP if it was done right.. But otherwise. I like to simply explore, build, and share creations with people on mp)

I actually didn't try MP yet (except with 1 or 2 friends) for the sole reason of PVP'ers. And since the game is still in it's early stages, any actual mp progress will be lost at some point.

To end it on a note.
I personally believe Ylands is a pretty unique game in it's Art Design. (The Voxel system and the art which is simple but quite detailed fits quite well) Because no matter what you create in the game. It will feel like it.. fits. As weird and odd as it can be.

Cheers.

Have patience doing a good job takes time.

Some textures can be improved, such as the terrain. But I think that putting photorealistic textures would not do any good to this game.

The MP is still very green the first image is the maximum I got to do in a DS before it rebooted.

In terms of creativity I have tried several styles and I can say that it is really interesting if it is what you are looking for.

Building

20180213105239_1.thumb.jpg.3e4d60f29749752fad5af5018e210350.jpg20180215122303_1.thumb.jpg.a5f6997de2590d4f130e4fc911500822.jpg

Land edition

20180212112856_1.thumb.jpg.1395ca57c1481584918097a48606fe22.jpg20180214132146_1.thumb.jpg.970f65ed57f1bfa99a73f802ad6d324e.jpg

Exterior decoration

20180219141933_1.thumb.jpg.6844100b81ca0d7c1320d213b4fffeee.jpg

Interior decoration

20180302212355_1.thumb.jpg.f0f37585988f171cdef257f723069b35.jpg20180303164442_1.thumb.jpg.ae66c8f5aef8e82c983a017af47a876f.jpg

Ylamds doesn't have any normal textures like other games do, instead all the triangles an object consists of have a color.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:05 PM, spyler.1989 said:

Some textures can be improved, such as the terrain. But I think that putting photorealistic textures would not do any good to this game.....etc

20180212112856_1.thumb.jpg.1395ca57c1481584918097a48606fe22.jpg

I agree that the terrain is suffering the most from having no textures. As ur picture shows, I dont think this looks good at all.

And it dosent have to be photorealistic textures. I was thinking something like this :

creativerse-door.jpg

Just a rock-like texture...cos its a rock, I dont understand why some of u would say no to this. Game would look so much better. I agree that the Ylands graphics are "nice" and relaxing...dont quite know how to describe the feeling I get. But at the same time its just to minimalistic, nothing stands out and it gets bland. Like ur picture...just a mash of colors.

U actually want this:

7E8B9219F559DA4E06088571058E4937742E4A76

Instead of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

To me this is like...imagine a game came out and the main selling point of the game was "this game sucks"....I bet that game would develop a small player base that would honestly say they like the game because it sucks. This is the vibe I get from u guys.

Edited by svisketyggeren

On 3/3/2018 at 1:27 AM, bb cakes said:

Thanks for your input. Don't forget to close the door on your way out.

Impressive toughtalk...why dont wait outside untill the grownups are done talking.

Frankly, the repeating pattern would drive me batty.  The style is the style.  There are games out there with the textures you want, go play them.  But no, you come in on the last days of early access and are asking for a graphic redesign because it would please your aesthetic tastes better?  Seriously?  I hope there are nice textures under your bridge.

2 hours ago, bb cakes said:

Frankly, the repeating pattern would drive me batty.  The style is the style.  There are games out there with the textures you want, go play them.  But no, you come in on the last days of early access and are asking for a graphic redesign because it would please your aesthetic tastes better?  Seriously?  I hope there are nice textures under your bridge.

Adding textures to a game isnt really something u would call a graphical redesign. Modders have done this for a long time. And secondly, im under the impression that Ylands will be developed further past release. 

2 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

To me this is like...imagine a game came out and the main selling point of the game was "this game sucks"....I bet that game would develop a small player base that would honestly say they like the game because it sucks. This is the vibe I get from u guys.

Both of the examples you showed as preferable to you were pretty hideous to me.  Everyone has different ideas as to what is aesthetically pleasing and I hope everyone is able to find games that please them in this way.  There is no reason to belittle people for what they find pleasing there is too much of that in the world today.  And I sure hope the moderators can recognize and chastise posts that belittle people.

6 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

Honestly svisketyggeren, I think that calling us smelly is not the solution
I also think that you are the typical person who has done nothing in his life but complain behind a screen.
So if the textures bother you so much. Start creating some, and we will tell you if we like them. Maybe when they implement the mods you have managed to do something ..

Or you can keep playing creativerse haha xD

Edited by spyler.1989
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

Adding textures to a game isnt really something u would call a graphical redesign. Modders have done this for a long time. And secondly, im under the impression that Ylands will be developed further past release. 

Mods generally suck, IMO. And yes, to do this properly, it would be a redesign. You would have to deal with how lighting and animations are effected. One of the reasons mods always look crappy is because they don't do this.  

I play The Sims 4 a lot. There are gifted creators and mods. But most CC either clips weirdly, or doesn't quite fit properly, or the animations just ignore it altogether.  Also, it makes sharing your builds problematic.

You should find a game that pleases you. There are many out there to choose from. Ask your mom, she might let you use her credit card to buy one.

Edited by bb cakes
Grammar
  • Haha 1

I agree with what @bb cakes said. To be honest.

I think the reason why I don't (And probably most of us) don't care about the textures being "bland" is due to the fact that light just works so well. Plus I dunno. I personally got used to how the game looks now. And it just fits. :3

Also.. " Ask your mom, she might let you use her credit card to buy one.  " <- Savage <3

6 hours ago, bb cakes said:

Mods generally suck, IMO. And yes, to do this properly, it would be a redesign. You would have to deal with how lighting and animations are effected. One of the reasons mods always look crappy is because they don't do this.  

I play The Sims 4 a lot. There are gifted creators and mods. But most CC either clips weirdly, or doesn't quite fit properly, or the animations just ignore it altogether.  Also, it makes sharing your builds problematic.

You should find a game that pleases you. There are many out there to choose from. Ask your mom, she might let you use her credit card to buy one.

Ofc u are entitled to ur opinion that mods suck. I would recommend u play some ARMA or Dayz, Bohemia have hired one of the ppl that modded for Dayz and ARMA...his mods probaly suck though, yeap. And that just talking about mods for Bohemia games. And really saying mods generally suck isnt really a counterargument to what I said....modding in textures into a game is still not a graphical redesign no matter how much u feel mods generally suck.

Again, that toughtalk...u should really wait outside. Really what im seeing is u not being able to produce any relevant arguments, whether it be unrelated opinions u have or just plain childish insults, which u started by way. So im not gonna bother more with u.

Edited by svisketyggeren

10 hours ago, spyler.1989 said:

Honestly svisketyggeren, I think that calling us smelly is not the solution
I also think that you are the typical person who has done nothing in his life but complain behind a screen.
So if the textures bother you so much. Start creating some, and we will tell you if we like them. Maybe when they implement the mods you have managed to do something ..

Or you can keep playing creativerse haha xD

Smelly? Some weird ass ppl on this forum I see.

I know that the solution is not calling anyone smelly, which I havent. The solution is that the developers add some textures to this game. Again, ur personal opinion about me is just irrelevant...I dont have a personal opinion about u, I simply dont know u.

And yes I can play Creativerse...not sure what u find funny about that, or if its got something to with adding textures to Ylands...

Edited by svisketyggeren